I've been told I shouldnt own a dog
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've been told I shouldnt own a dog

Mybabymambo Guest

DefaultI've been told I shouldnt own a dog

I went to the park the other day and a woman commented on how nice and shiny Mambos coat was. I told her what type of food I give him as well as Raw. She at first acted like she was interested in hearing what I had to say. Than out of the blue she says "people like you shouldnt own dogs, would you feed your kid raw chicken?" WTF?? She went on to say I am neglecting my dog (Mambo really looks abused : )and she would be calling animal control on me. She wrote down my tag number and all. Says I am putting my dog at risk. She also said I am killing my dog by feeding him chicken. I should know chicken bones are not good for dogs, the could choke. But here is the best part. She feeds Marrow bones. WTH does she think that is. Its raw ! She also thinks the prong collar is abuse..lol Some people really have no clue. I wonder if she really called? I am sure if they were to come take a look she would see an abused puppy Anyways.

Those of you that feed raw. Where did you hear about it? I heard about it on another board and spent some time looking into it. I have noticed great improvement in Mambos coat and overall health. Even my vet told me I shouldnt feed raw, I should use Science diet. But my new vet is all for it. Says she has noticed good changes in dogs that were on raw.

Just wanted to share.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I've been told I shouldnt own a dog

I have found that most folks just don't understand or don't want to learn. Some actually believe the myths ( about chicken bones, salmonella, Blood thirsty, etc...) My vet said the only thing that really worries her is the bacteria and the fact that the 'content' minerals/proteins/calories is not clearly labelled on the package. I did explain my position and she has relaxed somewhat. She does think Gus looks great.
    I have never had anyone be actually rude to me about raw! I think if the park incident had of happened to me I'd of told her to get her head out of her ass! Some people.... Wonder who she'll call the dog food police olice: I'm sure animal control will come right over and arrest you!!! GAWD! How'd you keep a straight face : lol
    IMO dogs are carnivores and they're built to handle raw food, even over hundreds of years of breeding we humans haven't changed the dogs genetics! The dog food industry has brain washed the health care system and some pet owners alike. After all dog food didn't come to be untill the 1940's or 50's how were dogs fed before that?

I would not worry. My vet also told me not to feed raw. Guess what? She is not my vet anymore : : : :'( I tell people too what kind of food we feed, and they look at me as if I was a weirdo. The real fun starts when p..p times comes. You know who is picking up horse size piles. Anyway, you should not feel accountable to anyone as to what you feed your dog. Some people feed their kids stuff (I am sure this woman belongs in them) that I would not feed to my dog. I tell people in the hope that some of them will go, do their research and learn about it themselves. At the end it is my dog who will likely live longer and happier life (doesn't good food make you happy?).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think those of you that feed raw are awesome. When my pup is older I hope and can put as much time and research into it as many of you do. Kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by Tudyputs
    I think those of you that feed raw are awesome. When my pup is older I hope and can put as much time and research into it as many of you do. Kudos!
    Good luck! It sounds very difficult, and time consuming. After you do your reading, and get your freezer, you only spend a few hour each month preparing it.

I shouldn't own a dog either I guess. I feed a prey model diet and have since Amber was about 6 months old. I feed pre packaged raw (Bravo)about a month, until I learned enough to build up my courage to go whole hog so to speak.
    I still remember that first chicken leg quarter she ate as I stood by watching every bite wiith my finger on the phone speed dial button to the emergency vets office. I kept waiting for a jagged bone to come poking out of her neck or something. Or her to turn blue and fall over gasping for air. I watched her intently for hours and all she ever did do was let out a burb once. it was a rather anti-climatic experience, but one I will never forget.

Kelly and Amber

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Calling animal control on you??

"Oh hello, Animal Control? yes, I would like to report an incident...I met a lady at the park who admitted to feeding her dog raw chicken." ???

What a nutcase.

Mybabymambo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Calling animal control on you??

"Oh hello, Animal Control? yes, I would like to report an incident...I met a lady at the park who admitted to feeding her dog raw chicken." ???

What a nutcase.
    LOL. Dont forget I also abused mambo by also putting a prong collar on him.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

That is absolutely stupid! I don't feed my dog raw (yet) but I DO have 6 ferrets that are fed raw foods and whole prey (like mice, rats, etc). I get crap for raw feeding my ferrets ALL the time. Its ridiculous. People are so uneducated when it comes to alternative diets. YES you really have to know what you are doing to supply the right amounts of nutrients but for christs sake if some people knew what kibble and commerical foods did to our pets they wouldn't be feeding it anymore. Kudos to you for giving your dog a better lease on life by feeding raw.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

All I have to say to this is ... How many people worry about what they feed themselves and their children. I am not trying to say that we should not worry about our animals, but people eat so much junk themselves and then will make comments on what we feed our pets.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast