Just Labradors banner

Weighing bones/meat???

909 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JackieN 
#1 ·
G'morning..this a.m., I gave Dakota his first raw meat/bone. My problem is..how do I know it's enough..since bone is part of the weight? I have some RMB's with total weight on the pkg. but how much is meat and how much is bone weight. I felt his tummy after he finished..and he seems full..but???
2nd ?...Can I give him some regular little dog biscuits after he eats the RMB? He is used to getting them..they are small..I gave him 2 about 30 minutes after he finished the RMB's.
Jackie

#2 ·
Jackie, can I ask how old your pup is? have you gone full raw or are you doing half raw half kibble?

What kind of RMB was it?

Most people feed an adult dog 2-3% of their body weight. However, that amount is more significant for a growing pup (I think it is 2-3% of expected adult body weight). My only concern is what diet plan are you using? getting the correct ratios is not so much an issue with an adult dog but it is crucial with a growing pup mainly due to the calcium intake.

#3 ·
Trickster..I am planning on RMB etc. in the a.m., and his kibble at night, I may reverse that after I see how his poops go. Right now I don't plan on doing all raw. Last night I gave him a raw egg and plain yoghurt mixed with his kibble. This morning he had RMB's.
Jackie

Trickster said:
Jackie, can I ask how old your pup is? have you gone full raw or are you doing half raw half kibble?

What kind of RMB was it?

Most people feed an adult dog 2-3% of their body weight. However, that amount is more significant for a growing pup (I think it is 2-3% of expected adult body weight). My only concern is what diet plan are you using? getting the correct ratios is not so much an issue with an adult dog but it is crucial with a growing pup mainly due to the calcium intake.

#4 ·
How old is he though? and what RMB's are you feeding? again, if you are feeding a lot of bone on top of kibble, you should be really careful because you are messing with the calcium levels. Large breed puppy kibble has a set calcium level (usually 1.5% or less) so by feeding RMB's on top of that you are raising your pups intake quite significantly. Therefore with a pup it is better to go one way or another -- full raw or raw and kibble but with very little bone.

#5 ·
Trickster said:
How old is he though? and what RMB's are you feeding? again, if you are feeding a lot of bone on top of kibble, you should be really careful because you are messing with the calcium levels. Large breed puppy kibble has a set calcium level (usually 1.5% or less) so by feeding RMB's on top of that you are raising your pups intake quite significantly. Therefore with a pup it is better to go one way or another -- full raw or raw and kibble but with very little bone.
Trickster..he is 13 weeks old! And I didn't give him chicken/bones this am, it was beef shank I believe with meat on it..and one shortrib. he hasn't eaten any of the bones..just chewed them a bit..but didn't get any of the bone. So what you are saying is..if I do half and half..I don't have to worry about bones because he is getting his calcium from his 1 serving of kibble????

#7 ·
the prey model helps a bit in this regard, i try to feed in portions like you find in the wild, another way to think of it in portions is: a chunk of meat with a bone inside not a large chunk of bone with little meat on it. i find whole chicken & turkey cut into meal sized portions and whole fish to be the easiest. my pup mostly knaws pork and beef bones but doesn't eat them but because bone only needs to be 10% i dont worry about that too much. :)

#8 ·
Thank you for the info..I usually feel his tummy..and if it feels fairly full..I figure he had enough. Like a lot of these dogs..they will eat and eat. He had a fair share of meat this am, we gave him one good sized short rib, with just a bit of excess fat trimmed off, and a good chunk of meat cut off a shank bone, and a few more smaller pieces. He also had one baby carrot and a small piece of broccoli.
Jackie :)

loriwolfelabluv said:
the prey model helps a bit in this regard, i try to feed in portions like you find in the wild, another way to think of it in portions is: a chunk of meat with a bone inside not a large chunk of bone with little meat on it. i find whole chicken & turkey cut into meal sized portions and whole fish to be the easiest. my pup mostly knaws pork and beef bones but doesn't eat them but because bone only needs to be 10% i dont worry about that too much. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.