New to this..Questions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this..Questions.

DefaultNew to this..Questions.

Hi All..I never knew that you could feed dogs all this raw foods. My ?'s are..

Raw chicken/bones is ok? I know cooked chicken bones are a no no..but aren't raw just as dangerous?

When you buy bones that have meat and fat on them...should you trim some of the fat off?

What types of meat besides organ meets are ok? ie:chopmeat, steaks?

I make a bird salad..has all fresh veggies, grated carrot and sweet tater, baby greens, frozen peas, frozen corn, apples,16 bean cooked beans,brown cooked rice. sugar snap peas, green beans, peppers (some hot), broccoli slaw, and other ass't veggies (no onions). Can Dakota have this salad?

His age is 13 weeks..bones???? Now or when he's older?

He already likes broccoli, carrots and banana's.
    If there is any other info I might need..please feel free to advise. Thank you!
    Jackie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KLM

DefaultRe: New to this..Questions.

I'll let one of the experts on here answer your questions as I am still new to this also but just wanted to refer you to this thread: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,27356.0.html It is a VERY helpful list to keep handy!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Raw chicken/bones is ok? I know cooked chicken bones are a no no..but aren't raw just as dangerous?
    Nope -- cooked bones are far more dangerous because they can splinter. Raw bones do not. Raw chicken is perfectly safe. Because chicken is probably the most readily available meat, it is the staple diet of many raw fed dogs.

When you buy bones that have meat and fat on them...should you trim some of the fat off?
    Only if you want to. Personally, I don't.

What types of meat besides organ meets are ok? ie:chopmeat, steaks?
    Read the thread posted by KLM. Raw meaty bones make up the bulk of a raw fed dogs diet. The rest is made up of organ and muscle meat. Extras like veggies, yogurt, etc., can be added if you like.

His age is 13 weeks..bones? Now or when he's older?
    If you are thinking about raw feeding a puppy you must do a LOT of research. I would never go in alone because messing with a pups diet and getting it wrong can have dire consequences -- orthopedic problems for one. I suggest talking to some raw feeding breeders and come up with a diet plan. I raw fed one of my boys but I had 40 years of breeding/nutrition knowledge behind the plan. Never, ever make up a raw diet for a pup on your own!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I agree with Trickster. Puppies need the right food for joints and to grow.

Ernie was 3.5 when I started him on raw and I still worry he isn't getting the right vitamins etc. Ernie has hip displaysia so this makes me even more concerned about what he gets.

I do cut the fat off the bones. Only because sometimes it is a bit rich for Ernie and he throws up.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Thanks Kassabella and Trickster..I've cut back on the raw for now..and feed him only once or twice a week with raw. I do use yoghurt, raw eggs, cottage cheese and some of my birdy salad in his Nutro kibble.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella
    I agree with Trickster. Puppies need the right food for joints and to grow.

Ernie was 3.5 when I started him on raw and I still worry he isn't getting the right vitamins etc. Ernie has hip displaysia so this makes me even more concerned about what he gets.

I do cut the fat off the bones. Only because sometimes it is a bit rich for Ernie and he throws up.

Hello
    Just my 2 cents: i would cut back on the yogurt and other foods with calcium if you are going to stick with kibble it has all the calcium your pup needs. When feeding raw by the prey model 80% meat 10% bone 10% organ and maybe a few table scraps your pup would get everything it needs. I've done a ton of research and from what i gather the actual science is - balance over time - variation in meat/bone sources and feeding organs either a little bit per feeding or a meal of it occasionally is really all there is too it. Dogs fed raw grow more slowly than dogs fed kibble. Dogs are carnivores, veggies and fruit aren't required although its OK to feed them but they should be lightly steamed or put through a food processor or they won't be digested. I wouldn't give up! There is tons of info out there and many many supporters. Anyways, whatever you decide, Good Luck.

If you read all the postings in this section, you will learn a lot of good info. I would also find a vet (holistic vet) who can maybe lead you through with the process. When you feed veggies, yogurt and things other than meat - keep in mind that dog is a carnivore and not herbivore. When you overdo it with veggies your pup will have a diarrhea. I always imagine an animal i.e. rabbit - muscle, some fat, bones, organs, and some veggies in the stomach. We are planning to get a puppy. As it happens it will be from a raw breeder, so they will give us exact instruction about balancing the diet. In addition to that I will work with my holistic vet.

If feeding prey model then you will feed a good balanced diet for a dog. The trick is to feed a whole prey animal. Chickens are a great way to start because you can buy whole chikens and just cut them up in 2 or 4 pieces pretty easily. Typically you feed 2% of the pups expected adult weight. You can find out what the parents weigh and add together and divide by 2 for a rough estimate. I know this seems like way to much at first but it does work out just fine. So if the parents weighed about 75lbs each then you would feed the pup about 1 1/2 pounds a day. You may have to adjust it up or down as the pup grows but its a very good starting number. After about three weeks you can then introduce a different protien source(different animal) . The percentages that you want to feed are 75-80% muscle eat 10-15% bone and about 10% organ. You don't have to feed all the same animal durring the same meal you can mix and match after your dog has gotten used to the different animals. You can also adjust the different percentages for your pup by including more bone to firm up the poops or more organs to make them a little softer.
    Once you have it down its a piece of cake and can be slightly cheaper to alot cheaper if you are good at finding different meat sources. Veggies are not required but if it would make you feel better you can include some.
    Some people do warn against feeding both prey model and kibble in the same meal as it may cause some problems as they are digested at different rates. Also the initial meals may produce some rather strange results at first. Ranging from diarehha to even some blood in the initial stools. Also some dogs have been known to vomit and then re eat it at first. All these things are normal at first. Also puppies may not initially eat the bones or only eat some bones. You may also see some bone bits that make it all the way out of the pup in its poops. If you pick up these bone pieces in a plastic baggie you will find they are quite soft and flexible and aren't a cause for concern. I would really try to feed a pup a bit less bone for the first couple of feedings and introduce organ meats in the first couple of feedings and then work the bone in. This will most likely cause diarreha but will be the easiest for the pup.
    Hope this answers all your questions

Kelly and Amber(raw prey model fed since October 2005)

DefaultRe: New to this..Questions.out

Thanks to Lori, Amber, Chocalata..if I mis-spelled names I'm sorry!

I will follow your advice..but..here's my problem..I still am very nervous about feeding raw chicken..yes..I AM chicken. LOL Horror stories reverberate thru my head.
    Dakota is 14 weeks old, all I've given him is RMB's so far. I was using short ribs, but they have alot of fat on them. I have some shin (?) bones with good meat on them..I will try them next. I also bought turkey legs..figuring they had bigger harder bones, but they are still in the freezer.
    Like you guys..I LOVE my pup..and I get really scared about doing something that might hurt him..ie: chicken bones. I guess I need reassurance that they really won't hurt him. :-\
    As for yoghurt..I only give that maybe once a week, along with a raw egg. Is that okay? And I only put about a full tbsp in his kibble.
    Chicken..aka Jackie LOL

Don't worry about the chicken. Really. Most of us feed chicken quite a lot since the price is quite friendly :-*If that makes you feel better take chicken wing in your hand and try to bend the bones - they are really soft. Any bone when COOKED could split and be dangerous. I don't have experience with puppies, but I would think that chicken wings and legs are easier for them to eat than ribs. Chocolata eats fish too - that was a lot scarier than chicken when I heard the crunching. She was fine : If you want you can give the meat grinded at the beginning, just to feel more comfortable, but for long term you want to give your pup bones. By grinding it you take the fun of it away, and your dog does not have a chance to exercise all those important muscles. This is a great start, so do whatever it takes to feel more comfortable, and if you can, find a vet that will work with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast