Eating poop after switching to a raw diet
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating poop after switching to a raw diet

DefaultEating poop after switching to a raw diet

I'm wondering if anyone out there has had a dog who started eating their own poop after switching to raw? Up to this point, Indy has had zero interest in poop, he would sniff from a safe distance and tip toe around it. When we first switched, only one in three meals was raw, the other two were kibble. And I did not notice any change. Just at the end of last week I started giving him raw at breakfast time too, so now it's more like two thirds raw, one third kibble. And litterally within a day to a day and a half of switching, he's been digging his poop out of the snow and eating it with shamelss abandon I can't get him to come back inside now unless I lure him with a really good treat because he's having too much fun eating poop! I can't think of any other change in his diet or routine that would cause this. Is it possible that either A) something is now lacking in his diet and he's seeking poop or B) that now his poop tastes really good so he figures he'll have it a second time?

I've been trying to clean it up to no avail, with all this funky weather we've been having, the poop is all buried in ice with just enough sticking out for nibbling on, but I can't seem to get it out with my hands and the plastic baggy The neighbors are all gonna think I'm nuts when I get down on my hands and knees and start chiseling away at the ice with my garden tools to dig up poop ;D

But in all seriousness, this is not a behavior that we want to continue. Any suggestions re: diet, training etc ... ? Obviously, the second we get a day warm enough to soften that ice I'm on serious clean up duty

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Eating poop after switching to a raw diet

So are you are feeding half raw/half kibble or all raw?

If you are feeding half and half, I doubt he is lacking anything in his diet because the complete kibble will make up for any deficiencies in the raw.

B) that now his poop tastes really good so he figures he'll have it a second time?
    I think you hit the nail on the head. This is most often the case with a poop eater. I suggest you try adding some pineapple chunks to his food. Supposedly this makes the poop taste bad. If that doesn't work, ask for some pills from your vet.

He's eating about 2/3rds raw and 1/3 kibble right now.

If pineapple is safe to feed on a regular basis, I'm willing to try it, I have several cans in my pantry right now from some fancy hawaiian recipe I never got around to making ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

It could be coincidence. Ernie started eating poop, when he hadn't before. In fact Erns has times when he doesn't eat it, then hogs into it. Who knows why.

I feed pineapple. Once I was so frustrated with him doing it I feed so much I think his poop was almost yellow.

Good luck. I have found the best way is to clear up the poop.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Thank you, I actually started feeding pineapple with this mornings meal and put a chunk or two in each one of his kongs ;D I'm glad he seems to like it, he was up on the counter trying to eat out of the can before I could mix it in with his food.

And I went around last night with the garden shovel and dug holes holes in the ice all over the back yard looking for poop. It looks like a battlefield and the neighbors think I'm a little strange, but hopefully it's poop free ;D

I sympathize with you. I too have a poop eater (even before I started feeding her raw), and nothing worked for her (pineapple, Deter, etc.) except extreme vigiliance in keeping the poop picked up. However, I live in California where we don't have the snow/ice problem so I guess you've got it all under control. Good luck!

It seems like it might be working, but probably too early to tell. Kassabella, how much pineapple do you feed per day? I have been giving just two little chunks with each meal and one or two in his kong. Are there any concerns with feeding too much? I get the stuff canned in juice not syrup, so hopefully sugar isn't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by The H Mom
    I sympathize with you. I too have a poop eater (even before I started feeding her raw), and nothing worked for her (pineapple, Deter, etc.) except extreme vigiliance in keeping the poop picked up. However, I live in California where we don't have the snow/ice problem so I guess you've got it all under control. Good luck!
    Your dog is just beautiful. I stopped in my tracks when I saw her picture, if she and Indy were the same color they'd be twins. Their facial expression is identical.

Well, it looks like the pineapple isn't doing the job. He started eating his poop again. I've been shoveling but it seems like he keeps finding more treats burried in the snow

I've heard of Deter and Forbid but haven't looked for them in a store yet, are they both OTC? Would you recommend trying one of them or just going straight to the vet?

jlab Guest

Just joined the forum so that's why I'm posting so late. But I've heard others talk about this problem in other forums and discover that if any portion of the diet is kibble, you'll continue to have the problem. Switch to total raw diet and the problem goes away.

Don't know if it's because there's still a nutritional dificiency that satisfied by a total raw diet (no longer a need to eat stools). Or it could be that the undigested kibble in the stool still has some taste left whereas a total raw food stool is mostly calcium and tasteless. Here's a portion of typical post from the Petfinder raw forum to illustrate that total raw feeding makes this problem go away:

First of all, I had 2 die-hard-poop-eaters (Brandy and Foster) and an occaional poop snacker (Georgia learned by watching Brandy and Foster). They all stopped eating poop. Now it's not only the quality of poop that made them stop eating poop, but because what they put in their mouths to begin with. If anybody's wondering what I mean by this, I started raw diet on everybody except Brandy at first because I wasn't sure about feeding raw with her megaesophagus. She kept trying to eat everybody's poop when the others stopped eating anybody's poop. After more research, I put Brandy on raw diet as well, and I don't have any poop-eater.
    Hope this helps...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast