Eating poop after switching to a raw diet - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating poop after switching to a raw diet

DefaultRe: Eating poop after switching to a raw diet

Luckily in Indy's case it just turned out he likes poopsicles ... if they're not frozen he won't go near 'em ;D

In the raw feeding group that I'm in there are people who's dogs still eat poop ... I think it will only go away with a diet change if it's due to a deficiency, but from what I've read there are many other reasons a dog might eat poop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

everydog is offline Senior Member

LOL, I was watching my brother's dog and thought - "wow, these raw-fed dogs really DO have disappearing poop!" Then I saw him whip around and eat it almost before it hit the ground. Yeccchhh. But he seems healthy. He's been raw fed since 8 weeks.

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana
    Luckily in Indy's case it just turned out he likes poopsicles ... if they're not frozen he won't go near 'em ;D

In the raw feeding group that I'm in there are people who's dogs still eat poop ... I think it will only go away with a diet change if it's due to a deficiency, but from what I've read there are many other reasons a dog might eat poop.
    Are you still feeding some kibble in with the raw or are you feeding 100% raw now?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Are you still feeding some kibble in with the raw or are you feeding 100% raw now?
    [/quote]

He's about 95% raw now. I'll confess that he occassionally gets a bowl of NV kibble when I don't have anything defrosted, but once the bag is gone, I'm not buying any more. I'll just have to be more responsible about giving stuff plenty of time to thaw ;D

He's loving the prey model raw ... now to convince the cats :

jlab Guest

He's about 95% raw now. I'll confess that he occassionally gets a bowl of NV kibble when I don't have anything defrosted, but once the bag is gone, I'm not buying any more. I'll just have to be more responsible about giving stuff plenty of time to thaw ;D

He's loving the prey model raw ... now to convince the cats :
    Sounds like you're really starting to get the hang of it. What are you using as a guide for feeding the prey model. Any good prey model links you can share?

Well, this is the group that was recommended to me by another member of these forums, and I have found it quite helpful

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

Searching their archives turns up everything you ever wanted to know and didn't want to know about prey model feeding

I actually joined a bunch of groups, but this is by far the most active, if a little strict. They only promote prey model raw feeding, they will not support feeding of any commercial foods, including ground pre-made raw, definitely not kibble or the BARF diet. I happen to feel that pre-model is the best, but just pointing this out, because not everyone on these forums feed 100% raw or prey model, so this group may not be the best fit for everyone.

These are some good links to get a person started on raw

http://www.rawfeddogs.net/

http://www.rawfed.com/myths/index.html

http://www.rawlearning.com/

jlab Guest

Thanks for the links especially the yahoo rawfeeding. I really appreciate your description of the focus of this group. It's exactly what I'm looking for but saves some time, effort and hurt feelings for those not fully interested in the prey model. I understand firsthand what happens when mixing those two points of view and it's not pretty!

Well, this is the group that was recommended to me by another member of these forums, and I have found it quite helpful

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

Searching their archives turns up everything you ever wanted to know and didn't want to know about prey model feeding

I actually joined a bunch of groups, but this is by far the most active, if a little strict. They only promote prey model raw feeding, they will not support feeding of any commercial foods, including ground pre-made raw, definitely not kibble or the BARF diet. I happen to feel that pre-model is the best, but just pointing this out, because not everyone on these forums feed 100% raw or prey model, so this group may not be the best fit for everyone.

These are some good links to get a person started on raw

http://www.rawfeddogs.net/

http://www.rawfed.com/myths/index.html

http://www.rawlearning.com/

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

If you are feeding half and half, I doubt he is lacking anything in his diet because the complete kibble will make up for any deficiencies in the raw.
    Sorry, but kibble is not complete. The AAFCO nutrient ranges are ridiculously large which means that nobody really knows what complete nutrition is for a dog.

But I've heard others talk about this problem in other forums and discover that if any portion of the diet is kibble, you'll continue to have the problem. Switch to total raw diet and the problem goes away.
    I've fed many dogs strictly raw for ten years. I have some that eat poop and some that don't. Some will only eat fresh poop. some will eat poop only from a certain dog, some will eat horse or deer poop but never dog poop...it's a mystery why they do what they do 8)
    Poop eating is largely a learned behaviour and the only way to prevent it is to follow your dog outside and pick it up as soon as it hits the ground. It is not due to a deficiency of any sort...it is just ancestral drift as stool eating is adaptaptive for some species to survive. When times are hard, there are nutrients in stools. Stools from puppies must be cleaned up to prevent predators from finding them. The tendency is in every dog and some give in to it while others don't.
    I'm not sure I would go to the trouble of feeding a raw diet if you are going to add unnatural products to stop a dog from doing what dogs do. If it does bother you, just pick it up...I'm afraid that's the only solution
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Thank you for the thoughtful responses ... this is an old thread, Indy stopped eating poop a long time ago ... it turned out he only likes 'em frozen. Now that it's warm out, he's back to delicately sniffing from a safe distance and tip toeing around them It was just coincidental he discovered the delights of frozen poop at the same time I started feeding him raw ;D

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

ahhh, poopsicles :P ;D
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast