Why don't you feed raw and kibble together.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't you feed raw and kibble together.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhy don't you feed raw and kibble together.

I know it is in here somewhere. I can't find it.

I have a friend who is feeding dry and raw together. I know it isn't a good thing to do, but couldn't explain why.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Why don't you feed raw and kibble together.

I don't feed raw, but I thought it had something to do with the time it takes to digest each of them? ??? Seems like the gut does different work for raw versus kibble, so maybe that is it?

I'm also interested to hear the right answer!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by yellojakesmom
    I don't feed raw, but I thought it had something to do with the time it takes to digest each of them? ??? Seems like the gut does different work for raw versus kibble, so maybe that is it?

I'm also interested to hear the right answer!
    Yup, I think that is why!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

i dont feed raw on my lab as she does not like it. my gsd however used to eat raw with kibble. i never had a problem with him as regards digestion, constipation etc. he is on pure raw diet now and is doing very well. both diets have their respective pros and cons. do what works for your dog.

If dogs digest food like humans do, this should make no difference. Yes, carbohydrates, proteins, and fats are digested at different times, but it is only because they are digested in different PLACES in the digestive tract. For example, carbs are digested first, then proteins, then fats. All things are not digested in the stomach, but rather along the intestinal tract. Assuming dogs digest like people do, feeding raw and kibble together should be fine.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

The pH in a dog's stomach must change in order to digest grains as they are not omnivores or herbivores. If you feed a grain based kibble along with raw meat, then that influences the pH change and slows down the rate of absorption of the grains and they can begin to ferment in the GI tract....supposedly. The slower rate of absorption also gives bacteria from the meat more time to sit in the GI tract and wreak havoc with the body. That is one reason why raw or 'off' meats that dogs thrive on would just about kill us...meats sit in our digestive tract four times longer, and the longer it is in there, the more chance there is of salmonella or similar bacteria multiplying in the gut.
    What takes us 16 hours or more to digest can slip through a dog in about four! But if you add grains to the content, then it can take as much as 16 hours for a dog's meal to digest and that is when trouble can theoretically happen.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

yellowlab Guest

FallRiver,

Great info about mixing raw meat and kibble. I have been thinking about adding small bits of raw meat to my lab's daily feed to increase his protein intake, but will not do that, now.

Your dogs are beautiful. Would you mind telling us what you feed them?

Do you have any suggestions on how to increase the protein content when the dog has suspected food allergies and is on a 1 protein, 1 carb diet? The diet is Natural Balance venison and brown rice; crude protein is 22%.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

I think true protein allergies are not as common as many would think and that most problems are caused by IBS from feeding the same food every single day, or a protein sensitivity.

Protein sensitivities are common in dogs who have had a lot of vaccinations. The viruses are cultivated on animal tissue or eggs and when the vaccine is made, the tissue gets ground up and injected into the dog along with the virus and the chemical soup. Foreign protein matter is definitely not supposed to be injected right into tissue and dog's body will often mount an auto-immune response, creating a sensitivity to the protein that the virus was cultured on. A homeopathic vet visit may help to reverse the vaccine damage if that is the cause.

It is fairly easy to determine if a certain protein source is problematic on a raw diet as you can try just one meat at a time. BUT, you need to be extremely careful and make sure that he doesn't pick anything up off the ground other than what is in his dinner plate and you need to do it for a full 12 weeks to know if there is any difference.

Anyway, to answer your question, if you want to increase the protein content of his food, you could feed kibble one day and raw the next, or alternate kibble and raw meals. Just make sure that you are not adding meat alone though...if you are supplementing 20% of his diet or more, then you need to balance the meat with bone.

I feed my dogs raw...I sit somewhere between Billinghurst and Prey Model, depending on my mood :-) They get chicken necks and backs, pork necks, lamb necks and breasts, turkey necks, duck, tripe, bison, goat, mackerel once a week, and dark leafy greens every now and again.

I still feed some dark veggies as I have an older girl here who was regularly vaccinated and is suffering from liver damage...the dark leafies help to detox her liver and since liver disease is fairly common in labs, the rest get some too.

Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I agree with you that protein allergy is probably rarer than people think.

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    Protein sensitivities are common in dogs who have had a lot of vaccinations. The viruses are cultivated on animal tissue or eggs and when the vaccine is made, the tissue gets ground up and injected into the dog along with the virus and the chemical soup. Foreign protein matter is definitely not supposed to be injected right into tissue and dog's body will often mount an auto-immune response, creating a sensitivity to the protein that the virus was cultured on. A homeopathic vet visit may help to reverse the vaccine damage if that is the cause.
    Semi-OT, but I had not heard of this. Do you have citations you could send me on this? (A different issue, but I'm unpersuaded about the value of water homeopathy for much of anything, so if you have information on that it would be much appreciated, too.)

Mybabymambo Guest

I have been feeding Mambo raw and kibble for a long time. We haven't had any issue. When I say feed both. I do not feed Mambo raw everyday. Its more of a couple times a week. I will give him kibble in the morning and at night a few days a week he will get raw.

I havent had any issues with this myself. But wondering if I am causing him more harm than good. Once I really started feeding both Mambo has been very healthy. He hasnt been sick in awhile. COuld he be having issue with this and I not know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast