Can I feed raw beef/chicken/eggs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I feed raw beef/chicken/eggs?

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan I feed raw beef/chicken/eggs?

I don't feed raw, but would consider adding some raw beef/chicken/whole eggs to their kibble if it were safe and healthy to do so. I've heard of people feeding a whole raw egg w/the shell, is this safe and healthy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Can I feed raw beef/chicken/eggs?

Yes you can feed both but i would suggest that you not feed both at the same time though as kibble and raw are not digested at the same rate. Beef, chicken and raw eggs (some dogs will eat the shell, some won't)are all good. You should try to feed in large chunks to encourage chewing, ripping and tearing. Start slowly, alot of folks start with chicken as its easy to find, inexpensive and easy to serve! A whole chicken cut into meal size portions makes it quite. As a general guide for raw feeders 2-3% of body weight per day is a feeding guide. Also the meal should be about 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ although when starting out alot of folks feed no or very little organ as it can cause runny poo.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It is safe to feed all three but feed them separately from kibble.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I feed all those things, but not with the kibble. I do add raw egg to his offal meal each week. All really good for them.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Thanks for the helpful info. I might give them a raw egg for a "snack" today, with the shell, just to see how they deal with it. I have a feeling it might just be worth filming for America's Funniest Animal Videos!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I've read from few folks on here that if you give the shells you really need to boil the egg for about 3 minutes. I don't give the shells, but will crack an egg over their raw meat. They love it.

Don't feed kibble and raw together in the same meal.

Um.. once you start this you'll be hooked

Linda, I actually gave them the entire raw egg, shell and all. I had no idea I needed to boil it. Jake ate the entire thing including the shell, after I cracked it for him, originally he had no clue what to do with it. I also had to crack Max's and Duncan's for them, they left the shell.

I will probably try a raw meal once in a while for them, instead of their usual dinner time meal (they eat 2x a day). I don't want to upset their tummies so I hope a "raw" meal once in a while won't do them any harm. Anyone have a experience with a once in a while raw??

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I don't give Erns the shell. My friends mothers dog eats the eggs when he collects them. Niggy is healthy so I guess there is no harm in it.

I started feeding raw once in awhile. I had a bag of kibble to use and being the skin flint I am didn't want to throw it away, so feed both to start with.
    .You could try feeding raw once a week to see if they like it. Or as a change. Don't feed with kibble. (she says as she remebers padding our Erns dinner with kibble.)

I have had asthma a lot lately so Erns often gets kibble and raw. Kibble is easier.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Is this something you need to slowly introduce to not cause diarrhea, similar to the slow changing of dog food brands?

When I started raw, some very helpful members suggested to just add one meat source at a time...for example, ONLY chicken for a while to get them used to the raw. I guess too many meat sources could cause GI upset. Chicken is very well tolerated by my dog, but I would suggest doing a lot of research about meat to bone ratios, daily amounts, supplement if you do them, etc. There is lots of info, and I base my raw feeding on some information I got at www.rawdogranch.com
    Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast