Pressed Raw Hide Bones

Thread: Pressed Raw Hide Bones

DefaultPressed Raw Hide Bones

Kip just loves the pressed kind, i do stay away from the (white) hide bones, to many bad stories!
    He gets raw bones as well as big pork and beef bones. However i've never fed kip chicken bones, they tend to splinter causing internal bleeding. Anyone else a fan of pressed rawhide bones?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pressed Raw Hide Bones

I do not feed any type of rawhide. Terrible for the dogs.

As for chicken bones splintering--only if they are cooked. Raw chicken bones do not.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Ours do pretty good on any form of rawhide, but I realize that I am in the minority there. Our dogs are with us all the time, and they don't gulp hunks down, so there have been no horror stories for us since we got the first lab nearly 6 years ago.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Ours do pretty good on any form of rawhide, but I realize that I am in the minority there
    I guess I am also in the minority. I also feed rawhide because we have a cheap supplier. Never had any trouble and they keep the dogs occupied for an hour.

As for chicken bones splintering--only if they are cooked. Raw chicken bones do not.
    Yup, this is true. Raw chicken bones are great. Cooked bones you want to avoid.

Ours do pretty good on any form of rawhide, but I realize that I am in the minority there
    I really think it is the opposite. I think it is a minority of dogs that are at risk of swallowing large chunks of rawhide. I would really like to see some statistics of how many pet owners buy these chews for their dogs in a year and then how many dogs were seen for complications due to rawhide in that same timeframe.

The problem is you might not know your lab is one of those dogs who is more likely to swallow a large piece and suffer from an obstruction until it is too late. Pressed raw hide is better in that respect, but raw marrow bones are the best for cleaning teeth and lesser risk of causing obstructions. Only problem I have heard from offering marrow bones is runny stools from the marrow and aggresive chewers chipping teeth on the hard bone.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Tagen I think you are right...it probably IS the minority of dogs with the problems. But it's these owners that scream the loudest that you'd think that the world is coming to an end because of a rawhide chip.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

I had a dog develop a bowel obstruction from a marrow bone.
    I think if your dog has strong jaws and likes to take off large pieces, either might be a problem. It is probably always wise to watch bowel movements after eating either of these snacks.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous