Okay, I'm convinced!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, I'm convinced!

joflake is offline Senior Member

DefaultOkay, I'm convinced!

Now where do we start? Actually, mine get raw venison at hunting season and raw chicken when we're cleaning it for our meals. They get raw eggs with the shells on the weekend mornings, and they also get lots of green beans and other veggies, if they'll eat them. I give them salmon oil, glucosamine with condroitin and MSM.

My question is do I switch over gradually like you do if you're switching kibble. Maybe give chicken pieces a couple days a week and see how they do? My mind has a hard time grasping giving them a raw chicken neck with all of those bones or raw fish! And do you buy cans of sardines?

I'm going to buy that book Kate suggested to someone else "Natural Nutrition for Dogs & Cats" but I'd like to get started now.

They do get a good quality kibble Eagle Pack Holisitic Duck and Oatmeal and are doing pretty good on it, but they could be better. Any advice would be appreciated. I can't wait to see HU's expression when I tell him I'm going to feed them raw chicken necks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I am just switching my kids over to raw now. We are starting week two. I know that there are more knowledgeable people on this board, but here is what I am doing

I also feed venison since I essentially have unlimited access to it. I also feed pheasant and duck occaionally. I am however mixing it with some of the dehydrated mixes available. Currently I am mixing with Wendy Volhard's mix, but am going to switch to Honest Kitchen (no grain version). Two of mine are on/switching from Eagle Pack Holistics (Chicken variety) and one Taste of the Wild (fish variety) kibble. For now, I have switched the evening meal to raw, and am keeping the morning meal as kibble (just what is convenient for me and just because of my lifestyle, I need to have kibble as an alternative).

Personally I do not think I could give bones in the form of necks or anything else. I know a lot of people do it, but I am going to have to supplement in some way or at least in the form of knuckle bones. I gave Hoss a venison knee joint the other day and he ended up shattering some of teh bone and he had an awful time for the last two days. Bloody diarrhea and a trip to the vet just to make sure there was not a shard stuck somewhere. For my own personal peace of mind I will not give necks etc.

I also feed eggs, rather frequently since I get them for free, hard or soft boiled (I try to go for soft boiled, but end up getting distracted and they end up hard boiled), with the shell, smashed into the rest of the food.

I have not tried tripe yet, but I (well the dogs) will and also some type of fish (sardines?) As far as veggies, my kids like them all (pureed I think is suggested), and I have to keep all of them away from the asparagus patch and cucumber plants or they would devour them all!!

Good luck! I look forward to hearing about how it goes for you and your crew!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

I give mine marrow bones all the time and no problems, it's just the thought of a chicken neck that gets me! So where do you buy these mixes. I live in the boonies and don't have access to the stores and stuff others do. Where do you buy tripe? sounds yucky!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

You can get the mixes on line, but I have a few friends that either deal the product or others that feed the same and we buy in bulk so it is cheaper. Some of the mixes are fairly complete all by themselves (depending on if you get varieties with the meat already in it). I am trying to get the grain free variety, so I am switching to the Honest Kitchen.

I too feed marrow bones occasionally, but do have to watch Hoss especially and not let him have it too long...sensitive tummied boy that he appears to be. (Gets the squirts)

From what I hear green tripe smells disgusting, but contains important nutrients. Again I think you can get tripe on line, but our local Pet Supplies Plus carries it too

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Personally I do not think I could give bones in the form of necks or anything else. I know a lot of people do it, but I am going to have to supplement in some way or at least in the form of knuckle bones. I gave Hoss a venison knee joint the other day and he ended up shattering some of teh bone and he had an awful time for the last two days. Bloody diarrhea and a trip to the vet just to make sure there was not a shard stuck somewhere. For my own personal peace of mind I will not give necks etc.
    Knuckle bones are more of a recreational bone. There is a definite difference between the long bones found in animals and the non weight bearing bones found in the neck and ribs. The neck and rib bones are much softer and less likely to break into shards or break teeth than shank bones. I feed lots of pork and lamb necks and I used to feed beef necks before mad cow made its comeback. Chicken necks can be a bit dangerous for large dogs and I feel there is a choking hazard. Deer femurs and not as hard as cows and like pork bones, they are small and brittle and large dogs can easily get large chunks off them. You are always best to stick with neck and rib bones and larger animals.

Joflake, where are you located? If you join a raw feeding group, you should be able to find a co-op in your area.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Agree that the type of bone is very important. My guys generally only get chicken and turkey bones, as they are sized appropriately and easily managed. Baloo will sometimes get lamb or piglet ribs, but it's mostly chicken leg quarters, backs, turkey necks/wings drumsticks (depending on size) and cornish hens. Rabbit when I feel like splurging, as it is NOT cheap!

General prey model ratios are 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% organ, some people feed daily like that and others balance it over a few days or a week.

I don't feed marrow or knuckle bones for the high risk of teeth breakage, but will do cow's feet here and there for fun.

The dogster site has a fantastic raw feeding forum, lots of great info, definitely check that out.

I started with a more BARF style including pureed veggies and the like, and have since moved to a modified prey model diet. A lot of it is trial and error, figuring out what works best for your individual dog, as no two are the same, just like people. That's why doing a lot of reading and research ahead of time is so important, as you're not as likely to get really freaked out if something goes wrong, and you'll know how to fix it.

Good luck and have fun!

Oh, and green tripe is the shiznit. My guys probably eat it 4 times a week, fan-TAS-tic stuff. Gross, but you get used to it.

Also wanted to add, I would switch cold turkey, maybe fast for a day and then start with the new diet. Because cooked/processed and raw food digests at different rates, you don't want them mixed together.

Let me know how the HK works Karen, my guys poop like crazy on it, I think the fibre is really high. I bought it as a "travel food" but couldn't feed it solely because of all the poop, so I'm either going to have to add it here and there or find somewhere to donate it to, which would suck cause it was expensive!
    Last edited by Baloo317; 05-20-2009 at 01:42 PM.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Dana, I'm located in Northcentral PA, in the boonies. I'll try to see if there's anything in my area, but I doubt it.

Kate, I will do a lot of reading first, like I said though, they already do get some things with their kibble, so it shouldn't be too much of a shock. I have some research to do before I jump right in. Do you ask the butcher to save you the organ meat? I know I can get beef and chicken liver, but not sure about anything else. I will have access to lots of venison later in the fall. That's what they get the most of.

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

I started slow. Chicken at first, then gradually adding other things. Right now Sam's 1/2 and 1/2. A good quality kibble in the morning, raw at night. I try to follow the prey model. He gets chicken, (thighs, legs, breasts, necks, backs), turkey (necks so far), whole cornish hen (they were on sale!), beef heart, chicken gizzards, liver, beef liver, necks, feet (that was fun!), chicken feet (those are STRANGE), pig feet, and thymus glands. i haven't found any green tripe and haven't tried ordering any yet. He also gets fish, eggs and sardines. Ground venison and steaks. So far he likes it all! And doesn't seem to have any problem with the chewing of the bones. It was scary the first few times.

Frances

Libby is 7 1/2 and Willy is 5. They're not too old, are they?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

You're never too old to start healthy eating.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast