supper time

Thread: supper time

Defaultsupper time

Hi all
    Well i finally was able to get over to a local farm/meat packer and got some really good buys! Beef heart, whole, its really gross looking (and smelling), but gus loves it. i also bought whole pork necks and turkey necks and giblets, beef liver and a big package of whole oxtails. i would like to find some rabbit and some wild game like deer or moose. Question are the 'giblets' just another word for organs? They are vac packed and frozen so it is hard to tell what they are. i am having a hard time finding green tripe here (alberta) anybody from this neck of the woods no where to find. Arusha foods does carry it but not right now and they don't think they will have any for at least 6 weeks to 2 months. Whats the weirdest grossest thing you all feed your dogs!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: supper time

Question are the 'giblets' just another word for organs?
    Yes. RMB's such as necks and other 'usuables' are also often labelled as giblets. If you buy fresh poultry of some sort (for human consumption) from a farm shop, ask for the giblets and you'll usually get the birds neck, organs, etc.

Whats the weirdest :grossest thing you all feed your dogs!?
    Mine loved the chicken and turkey brains they had over Christmas. Although, I think feeding whole prey is pretty gross. My dogs love it of course.

Quote Originally Posted by loriwolfelabluv
    Hi all
    Well i finally was able to get over to a local farm/meat packer and got some really good buys! Beef heart, whole, its really gross looking (and smelling), but gus loves it. i also bought whole pork necks and turkey necks and giblets, beef liver and a big package of whole oxtails. i would like to find some rabbit and some wild game like deer or moose. Question are the 'giblets' just another word for organs? They are vac packed and frozen so it is hard to tell what they are. i am having a hard time finding green tripe here (alberta) anybody from this neck of the woods no where to find. Arusha foods does carry it but not right now and they don't think they will have any for at least 6 weeks to 2 months. Whats the weirdest grossest thing you all feed your dogs!?
    I'd really like to find a butcher around NW Oregon who i can buy this stuff from.
    How much did it cost you and how many pounds did you get?
    Thanks in advance

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Whole beef hearts about 5-6 lbs. each were about 4 dollars apiece. I only have a small freezer so i shop every 2 wks. i only bought 4. the oxtails were kinda pricey (imo) they were about 50 bucks for about 35 lbs. (they will last alot more than 2 weeks though, I give them to gus to knaw on off and on, they take alot of work to eat and i put back in fridge many times before he polishes one off.) The pork neck were cheap but after opening pkgs. i did not like the size of bones, i deboned them though so i can still feed the meat. i got a good deal on pork shoulder roasts, but i find i am feeding alot of chicken the price is right and its easy to make sure that gus and my poodle riley get enough bone content.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I think the grosses thing I have fed Caleb is the frozen tripe (defrosted of course) he gets every day. :P
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org