Vaccines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Vaccines

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    412

    DefaultVaccines

    I know that this question is more for the health section, but I wanted to give opinion of those, who have the more natural/holistic approach. I wonder if you guys give all the recommended vaccines, or if you do less, different kinds, etc. I just recently started reading about it, and it is quite interesting.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    101

    DefaultRe: Vaccines

    With my cats I do titers to determine whether they need vaccines. Indy got all of his puppy shots, but when he is older and due for boosters I will do titers on him before vaccinating too. I don't think the state is going to give me any choice on the rabies vaccine, so we'll have to get that whether he has a strong immunity or not. I believe that vets want to vaccinate so often and on a regular pre-determined schedule because it's less confusing and they see things from a public health point of view. They don't differentiate between responsible owners and irresponsible ones, it's easier to just establish a protocol saying, accross the board, that all dogs need vaccines yearly, or every three years, rather than treat each one individually and rely on the owner to bring them back for the vaccine. I think they also realize that a lot of people would not want to pay for extra lab work and office visits just to find out that they need to bring the animal back in for a shot. I, personally, think it's well worth it for the health of my pets. One of my cats had a severe reaction to a vaccine a few years ago, ever since then I've been wary of over vaccinating and the risks associated with it. I think it's been about 5 or 6 years, and she still has not needed any boosters, same with my other cat, he never needed any boosters after his initial series.

    I have seen the argument once or twice that titers may not be reliable. I'm not convinced that that's true. I'm no expert (and I've done far more reading as this pertains to cats than dogs), but from what I've read, you also can't be certain that an animal is immune just because they've had the vaccine. Each individual develops an immune response differently, if at all. They may have no immunity, have it for one year, five years, or for a life time, it just depends. To me, titers seem like the best way to be sure that the animal is protected.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,752

    DefaultRe: Vaccines

    Nick had a great article on vaccine frequency and how long they *think* immunity lasts... I've got it printed out at home, I'll look and post the link for you.

    For us, we have to do rabies by law, so Henery gets the 3yr rabies vaccine (vs the yearly one).


  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    412

    DefaultRe: Vaccines

    I also read somewhere that you can ask your vet to only give you smaller dosage of the rabies to be covered by law. I will look for it, and let you know in which book this was.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,752

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    412

    DefaultRe: Vaccines

    Thanks!!!

  9. #7
    ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    3,794

    DefaultRe: Vaccines

    The American Animal Hospital Association has the new vaccine recommendations and the protycal that is now being taught in vet schools. Some of the vaccines last for life they are finding out. I do not vaccinate Caleb yearly anymore but do the titers for TDI. His holistic vet will be giving him is rabies Monday.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

    www.labmed.org


  10. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    412

    DefaultRe: Vaccines

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    The American Animal Hospital Association has the new vaccine recommendations and the protycal that is now being taught in vet schools. Some of the vaccines last for life they are finding out. I do not vaccinate Caleb yearly anymore but do the titers for TDI. His holistic vet will be giving him is rabies Monday.
    I am having a hard time finding holistic vet in Chicago. I switched vets after my vet told me NO RAW, and after she did not find out that Chocolata's tumor was cancerous. The vet I go to now, agrees with it, but is not thrilled. I would like someone that will educate me more about healthy (barf) eating, vaccines, etc. Especially, after this tumor, we have to be super careful. Also, we might be adopting a puppy (I volunteer for a rescue, and we have puppies now) - if we do, would you please share with me, how you fed Caleb as a puppy, and how you switched to raw?

  11. #9
    ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    3,794

    DefaultRe: Vaccines

    Quote Originally Posted by CHOCOLATA

    I am having a hard time finding holistic vet in Chicago. I switched vets after my vet told me NO RAW, and after she did not find out that Chocolata's tumor was cancerous. The vet I go to now, agrees with it, but is not thrilled. I would like someone that will educate me more about healthy (barf) eating, vaccines, etc. Especially, after this tumor, we have to be super careful. Also, we might be adopting a puppy (I volunteer for a rescue, and we have puppies now) - if we do, would you please share with me, how you fed Caleb as a puppy, and how you switched to raw?
    If you Google "holistic vets" you'll find a website that lists them by area. Caleb was a little over 6 months when I switched him. Began by putting a small chicken back in with his kibble. If you need anything, let me know. There are a lot of people here who can help.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

    www.labmed.org


  12. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    412

    DefaultRe: Vaccines

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOCOLATA

    I am having a hard time finding holistic vet in Chicago. I switched vets after my vet told me NO RAW, and after she did not find out that Chocolata's tumor was cancerous. The vet I go to now, agrees with it, but is not thrilled. I would like someone that will educate me more about healthy (barf) eating, vaccines, etc. Especially, after this tumor, we have to be super careful. Also, we might be adopting a puppy (I volunteer for a rescue, and we have puppies now) - if we do, would you please share with me, how you fed Caleb as a puppy, and how you switched to raw?
    If you Google "holistic vets" you'll find a website that lists them by area. Caleb was a little over 6 months when I switched him. Began by putting a small chicken back in with his kibble. If you need anything, let me know. There are a lot of people here who can help.
    Thank you. I think the best bet is to get a puppy from raw breeder, so they can lead me through it too. What I also like is that the parents were fed healthy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25