Multivitamin When on Raw?

Thread: Multivitamin When on Raw?

KLM

DefaultMultivitamin When on Raw?

I'd like to give Jake a multivitamin to make sure he's getting all the nutrients he should while on raw (and just to promote good health in general). Is this a good idea? There are so many choices - can someone recommend one? I'd like one with G/C in it also.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Multivitamin When on Raw?

The only supplement that Henry gets is Cosequin (glucosamine/chondroitin), twice a day. That said, I'm feeding him prepackaged raw, that doesn't require any further supplements.

I'm curious to see what others who are feeding "real" raw are giving!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't feed any type of vitamin supplement -- never have and never will. Not necessary IMO if what you are feeding is a reasonably balanced diet. If you want my advice, don't waste your money, but I am sure others have suggestions for you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't, and I pretty much agree with Trickster. I was fortunate in that I had a food store that makes their own raw diet and they've had decades of experience in formulating diets, so they helped me in that aspect. I feel confident that what I feed is balanced, plus he eats a kibble meal in the morning.

I tried adding vitamins and such, and I think I ended up really screwing up his diet. He had horrible dandruff, coat fell out, it was a mess. I had to go back to kibble for a while to straighten him out. I take a minimalists approach now, and go the whole prey model with no supplements other than Cosequin. If I didn't feed kibble, I would supplement with fish oil, but that's probably it.

Dogs have biochemical pathways to convert amino acids into a lot of vitamins - more than we can, so I think you'll be fine if you don't supplement. What they can't make on their own they usually get from organ meat.

KLM

Thanks for input, everyone!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Caleb's holistic vet suggested I have him on some vitamin C. With the furnance on I have added some extra sardine oil. Because of all the jumping he does I do use In Clover's Connectin for his joints. If he was not jumping so much I would not be concerned about that yet.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I use Glucosamine Condrotin and MSM supplements but not vitamins. I do use Oxy Fresh (an herbal supplement for stress) before shows and when training strenously.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I do use Oxy Fresh (an herbal supplement for stress) before shows and when training strenously.

I also use the Oxyfresh Primorye for stress. Everyday and then a double dose beginning a few days before we are to compete.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I do Vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), Kelp and AlfaAlfa