Am I Doing Something Wrong?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Doing Something Wrong?

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultAm I Doing Something Wrong?

Wondering if I didn't understand something correctly. I thought I had read that my dogs should get appx. one pound of RAW food at each meal (total of 2 lbs. per day). I feed Evo kibble in the morning (about 1 cup) and then appx. 1 lbs. raw in the evening, and both Mags and Ru are gaining weight.

Should it be only 1 lbs daily?

Time to cut back....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Am I Doing Something Wrong?

I believe that total for the DAY is approx. 2-3% of their weight. I started at 1.2lbs of meat/bones/organs per day, and chocolata picked up weight. I guess that what it takes is to watch them closely and adjust accordingly. I would probably feed around 1/2 lb at night if they have kibble in the morning. Chocolata is at 70lbs, but should be approx. 65lbs and she eats less than a pound of meat per day. She also gets veggies, yogurt, fruit. GOOD LUCK LOSING THE POUNDS olice:

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If they are gaining weight, yes you should cut back. The Innova EVO is very ingredient/calorie dense so I think cutting back to 1/2 lb of raw or 1/3 cup of EVO should do the trick. If you think they will bug you for more on this amount, give them fillers with the raw meal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I've heard the 2-3% of their ideal body weight/day rule too. But, like the tables on the kibble bag, that's just a starting point. I adjusted Henery's portions quite a bit at first until I found an amount where his weight levelled out and he looks good. He's just over 60lbs and eating about 1lb per day.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Now, Caleb gets 3/4 a pound of ground meat in the morning and a tablespoon of veggie mixture and about a heaping tablespoon or so of tripe. Anymore and he'll turn into a blimp. With Evo he gets one cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening. I would actually cut back on the Evo rather than the raw. That would be my personal choice.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I only feed about 10 oz. (total) for the evening meal. 1.2 - 1.3 pounds is what I fed when Jes was on a 100% raw diet. That averages out to about 2% of his body weight, so yeah, you'd be overfeeding in our case. I think you can stand to cut back a bit - either the kibble or the raw portion.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Thanks, I will be cutting back. I don't want little porkers. I like my dogs a bit on the lean side.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I think different dogs need different amounts. It is getting the amoungt right for your dog. Ernie gained weight at first. I was feeding under the recomended amount.
    I cut his food back and he is good now. I think a bit thin, but vets say no.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

If you find that your dog is gaining to much weight then i'd cut back, but if he appears healthy and fit i'd continue feeding him his regular diet.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Linda, remember too, with a better dog food and the raw they are absorbiing more into their systems than what they do with a, let's say, corn based dog food. People are amazed at how little I feed Caleb.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast