Just Labradors banner

Am I Doing Something Wrong?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  CHOCOLATA 
#1 ·
Wondering if I didn't understand something correctly. I thought I had read that my dogs should get appx. one pound of RAW food at each meal (total of 2 lbs. per day). I feed Evo kibble in the morning (about 1 cup) and then appx. 1 lbs. raw in the evening, and both Mags and Ru are gaining weight.

Should it be only 1 lbs daily?

Time to cut back....

#2 ·
I believe that total for the DAY is approx. 2-3% of their weight. I started at 1.2lbs of meat/bones/organs per day, and chocolata picked up weight. I guess that what it takes is to watch them closely and adjust accordingly. I would probably feed around 1/2 lb at night if they have kibble in the morning. Chocolata is at 70lbs, but should be approx. 65lbs and she eats less than a pound of meat per day. She also gets veggies, yogurt, fruit. GOOD LUCK LOSING THE POUNDS :police:

#3 ·
If they are gaining weight, yes you should cut back. The Innova EVO is very ingredient/calorie dense so I think cutting back to 1/2 lb of raw or 1/3 cup of EVO should do the trick. If you think they will bug you for more on this amount, give them fillers with the raw meal.

#4 ·
I've heard the 2-3% of their ideal body weight/day rule too. But, like the tables on the kibble bag, that's just a starting point. I adjusted Henery's portions quite a bit at first until I found an amount where his weight levelled out and he looks good. He's just over 60lbs and eating about 1lb per day.

#5 ·
Now, Caleb gets 3/4 a pound of ground meat in the morning and a tablespoon of veggie mixture and about a heaping tablespoon or so of tripe. Anymore and he'll turn into a blimp. With Evo he gets one cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening. I would actually cut back on the Evo rather than the raw. That would be my personal choice.

#6 ·
I only feed about 10 oz. (total) for the evening meal. 1.2 - 1.3 pounds is what I fed when Jes was on a 100% raw diet. That averages out to about 2% of his body weight, so yeah, you'd be overfeeding in our case. I think you can stand to cut back a bit - either the kibble or the raw portion.

#8 ·
I think different dogs need different amounts. It is getting the amoungt right for your dog. Ernie gained weight at first. I was feeding under the recomended amount.
I cut his food back and he is good now. I think a bit thin, but vets say no.

#11 ·
Yellow Boys Mom said:
Linda, remember too, with a better dog food and the raw they are absorbiing more into their systems than what they do with a, let's say, corn based dog food. People are amazed at how little I feed Caleb.
Susan, you are right. WE were feeding at 2% and Chocolata packed on some weight. Now, she is eating less than a pound per day, and doing great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.