MARROW BONES
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MARROW BONES

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

DefaultMARROW BONES

Hi can somebody tell me if Marrow Bones are good for dogs. Not sure whether to try SASKA on them she is 16 months old and suffers with a very delicate stomach. Any advice would be appreciated. ??? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: MARROW BONES

Absolutely!

Larry has a somewhat sensitive stomach and they don't bother him. Marrow bones are EXCELLENT for keeping their teeth clean, and has the extra benefit of keeping them busy for quite some time.

We give Larry one frozen marrow bone per week. You should be able to get them from your local butcher or in the meat department at your grocery store. I ask for ours to be cut into 3 inch sections or so. That way he doesn't get too much marrow, and it isn't small enough to choke on.

Thanks Larrysthelabs Mom, I will definitely give them a try especially if it is good for her teeth Also the keeping her quiet for a long time sounds really good. to me

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

They really can be a life saver. Enjoy!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Yep, they're really good for them! I know people who don't even feed raw but will give the marrow bones.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I just want to throw in a differing opinion. Gabby (my 7 month old pup) loves them and has never had an issue. She gets two or three a week (they're so cheap!).

However, Maverick (my 7 year old) has a sensitive stomach and simply cannot handle them. The first time we tried, he had the bone for less than fifteen minutes and had diarrhea all over the house for three days- and this is from a dog that never had an accident as a puppy.

If your dog has a sensitive stomach, be careful. Trim off any excess meat and limit the time with the bone to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom

However, Maverick (my 7 year old) has a sensitive stomach and simply cannot handle them. The first time we tried, he had the bone for less than fifteen minutes and had diarrhea all over the house for three days- and this is from a dog that never had an accident as a puppy.

If your dog has a sensitive stomach, be careful. Trim off any excess meat and limit the time with the bone to start with.
    That is why I will sprinkle Caleb's with his digestive enzyme. Some need the extra help.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Thanks for all your advice, I will try a small one and cut of excess fat and keep it fairly short, just in case fingers crossed she is ok

I have a silly question. Are marrow bones commonly known as marrow bones to butchers or could they possibly be called something else, like a particular kind of bone? I don't want to get that blank look when I go to the meat counter and ask for one ;D

And some less silly questions, are marrow bones easier on the teeth than beef knuckles? Are there any special feeding rules regarding how long they can be out of the freezer, how long they last etc ... ?

Some refer to them as soup bones.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast