Hello

Thread: Hello

DefaultHello

Hello, I'm new here. I do have some experience optimizing my allergic to everything cat's diet, so I know a fair ammount about the pet food industry and the benefits of feeding grain free, natural and raw food. I think I'm doing ok by my puppy, Indy, but I wanted to run it by the experts and see what you think?

Indy is almost 6 months old. I've been feeding him Nature's Variety kibble since about 9 weeks, rotating between chicken and beef because they have the lowest calcium of the NV kibble. But, because he's started getting yogurt, cheese and bananas among other goodies in his kong, I think that perhaps he is getting too much calcium. It appears, that the raw patties have a lot less calcium per serving than the kibble (I hope I'm reading the labels right). I have convinced one of my cats that NV raw food is edible, and I had always intended to introduce raw food into Indy's diet too. I waited on the advice of the pet store owner who has a lot of experience with raw feeding ... then the holidays arrived and life has been hectic and I never got around to making the change. Anyway, I'm ready to start introducing NV raw food into his diet. It was time stock up on pet food today, so I picked up a bag of the venison patties (I'll rotate the meat source), I plan on feeding him 50% raw, 50% kibble until if/when I am able to start making raw at a more affordable price. I'll be following the feeding guidelines on the web site, giving him kibble for his morning and noon meal and a raw patty for dinner. And he'll still get his frozen kongs because they keep him happy and me sane ;D

Does this sound about right? Oh, he also gets raw frozen beef knuckles for his chewing pleasure and dental health, which I hope makes up for feeding ground raw food.

I would appreciate any suggestions and constructive feed back.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hello

When Caleb was 6 months was when I switched him to a total raw diet.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

the meal plan sounds pretty good but i wouldn't give the knuckle bones, they are tooth breakers.i'd give a rack of ribs or some other MEATY bone instead (Ox tail is good my pup loves them and they last quite awhile).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Is oxtail something commonly found at grocery store meat counters or is this the sort of thing I'd need to find a real butcher's shop for?

Thank you for the tip on the beef knuckles, luckily we haven't had a problem yet, but I won't buy any more.

my grocery store (safeway) carries them but they are cut in pieces(about 4 inches long), the local butcher shop leaves them uncut for me.