Nature's Variety Grain Free Kibble- rotation?

Thread: Nature's Variety Grain Free Kibble- rotation?

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

DefaultNature's Variety Grain Free Kibble- rotation?

I'm thinking of trying Nature's Variety Grain Free Kibble on my 3 yo BF. She is currently on PP Sensitive Skin and Stomach due to some sort of allergy. We have previously tried other "allergy" foods and it didn't seem to help, proplan has been the best so far. We are not sure if it is food related or environmental but we have decided to give this a try. (We are also currently using fish oils and benadryl as recomended by the vet and also have a humidifier, as we are trying to cover all bases. We have been doing all of this for more than 6 months and have been on the current food for 1 1/2 years.)

My question is that these foods say that they are developed to be rotatated. I really don't want to rotate, and if this works for my dog I would like to continue using it. Is that a problem? Any other food I wouldn't rotate, but if this is developed specifically for that purpose, will it cause more problems if I don't rotate? Any other foods that are similar to this? Any info would be appreciated.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/conten...42CCXXy14893FB

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Nature's Variety Grain Free Kibble- rotation?

Most people I know who feed a kibble don't rotate. Might want to add some variety to the kibble once in a while though.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I think what this means is that most folks who feed this kibble rotate it with feeding RAW. I do. I give my dogs raw foods at night, and this kibble in the morning.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nature's Variety does reccomend rotating through all their foods, including the regular kibbles, grain free kibble and raw patties/medalions...that doesn't mean you have to. A couple of the kibble companies are moving towards rotation, I'm guessing because of the increased interest in feeding raw.

Thanks, this looks like a good quality food and I wanted to make sure there would be no ill effects if I didn't rotate.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

The reason for rotation is because eating the same foods day in and out causes leaky gut and IBS.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

I don't really know why they recommend rotation other than the fact that there are probably benefits from getting different protein sources from time to time. The store owner where I buy my Nature's Variety said that rotation is ideal, but not necessary. I have two cats, one eats both raw and Raw Instinct kibble, the other only eats the Raw Instinct kibble with no ill effects. 100% raw was my choice, unfortunately my cats didn't agree :. Raw Instinct appears to be one of the best kibbles you can get. My puppy is not on it because of the high calcium content, he eats the chicken and rice and the beef and barley, I do rotate between the two and just a few days ago introduced NV raw venison into his diet.

I think you'll be ok whatever you decide to do. The Raw Instinct kibble is only going to help with allergies if it's a grain allergy. If, for example, it's a chicken allergy, then it would not be the appropriate food as chicken is the first ingredient. You might want to consider having the bloodwork done to determine what she is allergic too. It would take some of the guesswork out of deciding what to feed. I'm probably going to give in and finally get it done for my kitty (I really should have a long time ago). While she does a lot better on the NV than anything else, she's still going through scratching phases where she removes a lot of hair from her face and neck (though not as agressively as before). It is an excellent food though, my male cat is really thriving on it.

Thanks everyone. I know that without knowing what the allergy is, it is hard to know what will fix it. Some day I will do the testing. I just know that this is a good food and I guess I figure a better food might help even if it isn't a grain allergy. It might just make her skin and coat better and less itchy. I just didn't want to keep changing the protein sources in rotation, as that might cause more problems in an allergic dog. Who knows, it might be environmental, but a high quality food can't hurt, right?