Tilapia

Thread: Tilapia

DefaultTilapia

I found some Tilapia in local fresh market. I wonder how do I give it to Chocolata? Some of the fins seem a little bit sharp. Would you cut it, or just serve it like this and let her choose what she wants to eat? Each fish weights approx. 1lb, so this will be her meal for one day.

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Tilapia

Last time I fed raw whole fish, I cut off the fins. You're right, they're very sharp...sharp enough that they'll cut you (at least most of the fish around here that I catch), and it usually holds true for ocean-fish.

I don't feed it anymore since I'm paranoid about the fish bones. They just seem like they would pose a bigger danger than other meats...maybe it's just me (which it probably is since a lot of people feed raw, whole fish). At the very least, I'd chop off the fins.

I will say that last time I took Jes fishing with me, he ate a bluegill that I caught (and they have pretty sharp fins). I took it off the line and was about to put it back and it flipped and flopped and I dropped it. He ran over and *gulp* down the gullet it went. It never caused any problems, but that could've been luck too.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I must admit when I have fed fish, they were filleted quite nicely! They were left overs from a friend of ours, too old that they did not want to eat them.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I cut off the fins and she loved it. It was a bit scary for me to hear the scrunching. I found a place where they sell them for about $1.19/lbs, so I would like continue feeding it.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

WOW! That's a good price!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

It is from Mexican market close to my house. I would like to feed her one fish per week at least.