WWYD??

Thread: WWYD??

DefaultWWYD??

Hey-
    I've been feeding Penny (3yo choc female) raw for a few weeks. Chicken and turkey parts w/ organs and a can of sardines once a week - yogurt, pumpkin and eggs thrown in too. She's been loving it, doing great. So last Thursday I gave her some ribs. I don't think she ate any of the bones at all - she didn't seem interested in working that hard, but I guess I can't be positive that she didn't swollow one whole - but that seems extremely unlikely. Anyway, Friday through today she's been having the worst gas (my whole house smells) and now has explosive diarhea and just vomited up her breakfast from yesterday (I tried to give her kibble for dinner as it's grocery day, but she wouldn't touch it - that's not so unusual). So, are these symptoms of obstruction, or did the beef just really not agree with her? We went for a 5 mile run yesterday am, with no lack of energy, and she's drinking and seems hungry, though after the explosive diarhea this am I'm gonna keep her off food today. Thoughts? TIA,

Leah

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: WWYD??

I'd definately call the vet to rule it out.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

If there was a blockage there would not have been any bm at all. For all it is worth, I wonder if it was the new protein source and might have needed a digestive enzyme. Caleb has been on raw for over 3 1/2 years now and still needs the digestive enzyme. But, call you vet to be sure. Realize a lot of vets don't like the raw diet. To sooth the intestines give her some slippery elm.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'd switch to a bland diet of boiled chicken or beef and rice until her gut settles down. Like Dani and Susan said, I think a visit or call to the vet is in order. It could be anything from food poisoning to just an upset belly, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

We have that problem when I overload on organ meats. I usually give more bone than other, but sometimes I slip up and not weigh correctly. I would try going back to your regular diet of poultry, with some pumpkin added in. This helps my crew get through.

Hey, thanks everyone. Since it was the weekend I decided to wait on the vet call, as long as she was eating and drinking and energetic. So, today she's pooping closer to normal (no more exorcist, no more foul funk) - still soft but way more ok. So I'm certain there's nothing too crazy going on. Whew. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Glad to hear she's feeling better. Usually I avoid pork, it tends to upset Riley's stomach and guts. Maybe her guts just didn't like the beef.