Pancreasitis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pancreasitis

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultPancreasitis

Not sure I spelled it correctly, but wondering.... I've had vets tell me that you should not switch foods around or feed certain things (Turkey was one thing I was warned against) as it caused many cases of pancreatitis that they see in the vet offices.

Every night I'm basically feeding something different. My dogs are certainly not sick.

Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Pancreasitis

I have always wondered about turkey with pancreatis ... turkey supposedly has more fat ... just don't know.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Well, Caleb does not do that well on turkey so I don't usually give it to him. I do switch things around but it is within a limited group--chicken, beef, duck, rabbit, goat. If I get fish from my friend, I'll give him that and he loves that, too, but that is about once or twice a year. I use salmon that has been frozen for a couple of months in with his vegie mixture. That is part of the reason I take Caleb to a holistic vet for a wellness check.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm feeding mainly chicken, beef, pork, some turkey, venison and fish.

Susan, are you saying you only feed fish once or twice a year? I give it weekly. My dogs love fish. They also love shrimp, but that is too pricey for them ... they only get a shrimp or three when I have it

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I'm feeding mainly chicken, beef, pork, some turkey, venison and fish.

Susan, are you saying you only feed fish once or twice a year? I give it weekly. My dogs love fish. They also love shrimp, but that is too pricey for them ... they only get a shrimp or three when I have it
    Hey, when it is given to me for free, I feed it. I guess I just don't think about getting fish for Caleb except for the salmon that I use in his vegies. Oh, once I found a piece of salmon in the freezer that I had gotten for us that got pushed back and was there for about four months. He got that. You can bet he loved that! I know with at least salmon, it needs to be frozen for a couple of months to kill the parasites. So, can I be one of your dogs when you feed shrimp?!

I don't do pork with Caleb cause it just does not agree with him, so I don't bother. I try to do Caleb's diet according to what he would eat if he were a wild dog, so I don't do alot of the shrimp type of foods.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Well my dogs are southern dogs. You can bet they'd be snacking on shrimp and crab and fish and fish and more fish.

I've read that Salmon is not the best fish to feed your dog. Sardines and Mackrel are supposed to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by raian

I've read that Salmon is not the best fish to feed your dog. Sardines and Mackrel are supposed to be better.
    Yes, sardines and mackrel are better but he does like salmon and I will use it for his vegie mixture. I also give him a can of sardines about once a week--in water and no salt added. He loves his sardine night!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I believe pancreatitis is a problem when feeding food too rich to a dog used to a more bland diet. Any dog who gets into something super high in fat is at risk for a bout of pancretitis I've been told. I think as long as you are careful about how much fat they get in their diet as well as how "rich" it is they should be okay. That being said, I do not feed raw, I am a kibble feeder

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Does it develope if you feed them more fat maybe once a month or on a regular basis? Because every now and then, I let the girls have the fatty part of my steak. Now, I am not sure if I should do this or not... ???

If there is a suspected pancreatitis occurance and to prevent further you need to lesson the intake of animal fat in the diet, so lean beef and fish low in fat and strip chicken of skin and fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast