RAW for beginners: Post your RAW diets here! All ingredients!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAW for beginners: Post your RAW diets here! All ingredients!

DefaultRAW for beginners: Post your RAW diets here! All ingredients!

I'm a beginner and have NO idea what to feed my Annie!

Give me your RAW menus!
    ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: RAW for beginners: Post your RAW diets here! All ingredients!

If you haven't already, read every single post in this raw section of the forum. It will provide you with loads of fantastic information to get you started.

Many people start feeding raw by using a single meat protein source (usually chicken) and build from there. Alternatively, prepackaged raw is also a great way to start.

right now i am feeding preground (from the breeder) beef with bone and organ as well as a few berries are in the mixture, but i am slowly (as the ground runs out, i bought 50 lbs.) switching to appropriate size bones with meat and small amounts of organ. my breeder said a tsp. of organic yogurt,fish either fresh or canned mackeral or sardines (watch the sodium), or 1/2 - 1 raw egg once or twice a week. I have given gus beef rib tips, a small pork picnic roast, mackeral, egg, chicken thigh, chicken liver, and pices with plenty of meat of beef neck bones and of cousre he is already a vacume so with my kids 'help' he has tried a few other edibles as well, including about a 1/4 of a granola bar this morning!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I'd be interested in your menus, too. I'm a visual learner and need to see menus. I can't just make this up as I go.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

I'd recommend reading up on it (Google BARF or raw diets and you'll find several - most sites recommend the same set of books).

Tonight, Jes had a chicken back, a bit of beef kidney, and a 1/4 of a pound of ground turkey. That would have destroyed his gut in the beginning...as someone else mentioned, try to stick with one protein source at first. He also got some carrots just for filler. We follow the whole prey model, so I don't normally feed veggies. He also eats kibble in the morning, so we're not on a strict raw diet.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Tonight Magnum and Ruger had the pre-packaged frozen Raw turkey and chicken patties from Natures Variety, with a big dollop of plain yogurt.

Last night they had Chicken with green beans and cottage cheese.

Tomorrow night they are having Beef Stew pieces (marked WAY down at Food Lion) and raw eggs.

I do feed Kibble in the mornings and am switching them to Innova Evo. This way I am pretty certain I will be meeting their daily nurtritional requirements.

I've not had any trouble switching protein sources. Ruger is gacking up bones in the A.M. and Magnum did throw up a little bit the night they had Turkey necks, but I think she was just so exhausted that night it hit her. (that was the night after our hike at Magnolia Gardens)

I'm basically feeding muscle meats five times a week. Organ meat one night a week. And Fish one night a week. And in the A.M.'s feeding kibble.

I add cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs, and fresh veggies smashed up when I think they need a bit extra food.

Neither of my dogs are big fruit eaters. I do share apple and banannas with Ruger, Magnum won't touch them. The fruits they are getting in their diet are in the Nature's Variety patties.

Not to change the subject to much but......feeding whole raw foods is better for your dog than ground/processed raw. About 80% of all kibble fed dogs have peridontal disease by the time they are 3-4. Tartar leads to alot of diseases in both dogs and humans (the most comon is kidney or liver problems). Feeding whole raw (Bone in meat) cleans the teeth and prevents tartar buildup. It also gives the dogs neck and jaw muscles the work out they were designed for. Grinding meat dramatically increases the opportunity for bacteria growth. Bacteria starts growing on surfaces grinding increases surface area by a huge amount. It also can introduce bacteria because cleaning grinders is very difficult. Feeding whole bones(in meat) can be a bit scary at first but is better for the dog. I always watch/listen to Amber eat just in case she chokes. In the 14-15 months she has been on raw she has never choked on Raw but recently she did choke on a dog bone treat and I picked her up and held her with her head down and her butt in the air and gave her a heimlich. It took her about 4 days before she forgave me for that assault on her..lol
    Anyway the form of the food is as important as the type of food. So try and feed whole prey when possible.

Kelly and Amber

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    Not to change the subject to much but......feeding whole raw foods is better for your dog than ground/processed raw. About 80% of all kibble fed dogs have peridontal disease by the time they are 3-4. Tartar leads to alot of diseases in both dogs and humans (the most comon is kidney or liver problems). Feeding whole raw (Bone in meat) cleans the teeth and prevents tartar buildup. It also gives the dogs neck and jaw muscles the work out they were designed for. Grinding meat dramatically increases the opportunity for bacteria growth. Bacteria starts growing on surfaces grinding increases surface area by a huge amount. It also can introduce bacteria because cleaning grinders is very difficult. Feeding whole bones(in meat) can be a bit scary at first but is better for the dog. I always watch/listen to Amber eat just in case she chokes. In the 14-15 months she has been on raw she has never choked on Raw but recently she did choke on a dog bone treat and I picked her up and held her with her head down and her butt in the air and gave her a heimlich. It took her about 4 days before she forgave me for that assault on her..lol
    Anyway the form of the food is as important as the type of food. So try and feed whole prey when possible.

Kelly and Amber
    I have a question -- can raw bones cause an obstruction? That's my greatest fear. My dog just gives a couple of chomps and then swallows.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Yes, in some cases it can. Read the thread I posted about the Great Dane.

Then again some dogs can get obstructions from kibble.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

We feed half RMB (raw meaty bone) and half ground up raw... for convience and variety. (The ground up is branded raw... Bravo!)
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast