Diarrhea again

Thread: Diarrhea again

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultDiarrhea again

luke has diarrhea again...

*sigh*

when i first started raw a few months ago, we were on half raw and half kibble, and both dogs were doing GREAT. i noticed the benefits of this change in their diet after just a few days, and i was thrilled.

then, both luke and taylor's poops started to get less solid, and right around that time, luke had his butt surgery and also had the worst of the diarrhea, so i went back to all kibble and got him on meds for the diarrhea and got both dogs back to normal, solid poops.

i thought maybe i had introduced pork, beef, and organ meats too soon, too fast or the half kibble/half raw didn't agree with them, so when i put them back on raw, we went to 100% raw and started with chicken. i also started giving them a digestive enzyme i picked up at the drug store, probably not the best brand. they did great the first week and half, so i introduced turkey a few days ago, and they were doing fine, until today.

taylor seems okay, but luke had massive diarrhea.

i love feeding raw and seeing the benefits of a natural diet for luke and taylor. they used to have horrible doggie breath, but not anymore, and luke is a terrible binge drinker when only on a kibble diet. taylor even started picking up this bad habit, but when they are on raw, neither dog drinks too much-too fast, and there is no more burp and regurgitation water.

maybe i'm overreacting? maybe this time luke got into something or some other stress that caused the diarrhea today. i don't know.

anyone else have any experience with this?
    what can you do for a raw fed dog with diarrhea? boiled chicken and rice doesn't seem to fit. ???

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Diarrhea again

What kind of 'butt' surgery did Luke have? If they had to remove anal glands, sometimes that will cause a continual problem with diarrhea as the anal spinchter muscle is damaged during surgery (a side effect they often don't tell you about).

I hope he's just having a reaction to the food.

If he seems otherwise OK, I'd be tempted to give him some immodium when he has these bouts. He may have IBS. You might want to discuss with your vet about it.

he had a benign tumor the size of a pea removed from his outter anal area.
    i've been doing some more reading on this, and i'm thinking it's just some isolated stress of some sort.
    if he doesn't improve or go through another bout of this, i will take him in for tests, but his bowl movements have been fine while on only kibble diet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Nature's Sunshine has a product called "Intestinal Soothe" that is great for the runs. I have a student who has their Rott on it. They spent over $5000 on tests to see why he had chronic diarrhea with no answers. They put him on "Intestional Soothe" and it has helped to the point that he has normal stool. I carry it with me all the time cause I use it on Caleb when he has the runs, especially when we are at a show.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

thanks for the tip! ;D

from what ive been reading its caused by too much organ (or muscle) meat and not enough bone. i would increase the bone and not feed any organ until it clears up. good luck
    modified to ad that pure canned pumpkin (not pie filling) helps.

Poor Luke! I found this same thing with Cassie when I started feeding her raw last August. I've found that, for the most part, feeding her chicken bones solved the problem. It seemed that whenever I tried to introduce a new protein source she'd get diarrhea. So she eats almost exclusively chicken bones (carcasses with meat left on them), served with some cooked vegees at night (she won't eat raw ones) and served with plain yogurt in the morning. I will occasionally add a few small pieces of beef but very rarely. Maybe if you stick to one protein source it might help. Hope he feels better soon!

thanks everyone!
    luke is already better, and i do think maybe their most recent meal didn't have enough bone, and they should stick with chicken for a while longer.

We just started RAW in early December. Cooper was doing fine with the different proteins and organs, until I gve him a cornish hen. He had diarrhea for a couple of days. Friends on another lab board attributed the diarrhea to too much skin. Maybe that was the case? Hope Luke gets better soon!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Gl to luke..

Ender has massive diarreha and gas last weekend.. but that's cause he found (and ate) and eniter box worth of cheerios some moron had dumped in the woods near the bike trail (presumably to feed birds I suppose?).
    ~Lindsay