how many of you feed raw?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many of you feed raw?

Defaulthow many of you feed raw?

Okay, excuse my ignorance; I've never heard of this. We've always fed our dogs (we're presently dogless--working with a rescue) a mixture of good kibble, and human food; chicken, beef, pasta, etc. (These were farm/hunting dogs, remember--activity, activity, activity) So, what's with feeding raw? Do you just buy extra meat at the grocery store and use that? What about the bacteria from raw food being passed from a slippery lab tongue to my kids? I'm not being negative, I'm just curious! Enlighten me, por favor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: how many of you feed raw?

Obviously all of us posting to this thread are feeding raw.

I just started. I'm not worried about bacteria on my dog's tongue. I mean, come on, they lick their private parts and then kiss you... gotta be bacteria there too

I decided to start feeding RAW because it just seemed a more natural choice for the dog. I am feeding kibble in the mornings, and then feeding RAW at night. Because I show and board my dogs I want to be able to keep them on kibble for convenience. I am thinking of changing their kibble to an all natural choice. Right now I'm feeding Purina One Lamb and Rice (and I've been feeding that brand for over a year now).

My RAW meals have consisted of chicken livers, hearts and gizzards, tripe, lamb, chicken wings, turkey necks, Nature's Variety patties (these are frozen but all RAW), cottage cheese, green beans, eggs and leftovers that I sometimes have from dinner.

I've read that you should NOT feed RAW and Kibble together in the same meal. Kibble takes longer to digest and move through the gut than RAW does.

Hope that answers some of your questions. I'm really not the one to ask as I'm pretty new to this, but I am enjoying feeding my dogs RAW and they seem to be enjoying eating it

Well, yes I assumed you all fed raw. ;D Perhaps I didn't pose my question very well. Also, I suppose I'm just used to dogs licking their...well, you know. Okay--forget I asked. Who said that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

There is more to know than "just buying meat at the grocery store". You do need to have an overall balanced diet. That said, there really isn't one formula for feeding raw. However, it does usually include feeding muscle meat, organ meat, raw meaty bones, and veggie mash.

I don't feed entirely raw -- but use a mixture of raw and dehydrated foods. This seems to work really well for my dog.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I feed half raw, half kibble. I use kibble for convenience and the brand I use works well for my dogs. Not to mention, I am a wuss and don't have the stomach for raw in the mornings.

Most of what I feed is not available at the grocery store. I get my supplies from butchers and farm shops. While you can get some RMB'S, muscle and organ meat at grocery stores (mostly poultry), your choice is limited.

As for what to feed, chances are if it is raw, meaty and in bone form, you can feed it.

Bacteria concerns most people who start with raw but honestly, if you stick to a good cleaning regime, you will be unlikely to have problems.

Thanks! I think I understand a bit better now. You're not just tossing half a chicken to the dogs with no thought or rationale. Got it.

You're not just tossing half a chicken to the dogs with no thought or rationale
    No, it's not just tossing half a chicken to the dogs. You want to give them muscle meats and bones, organ meats, and a variety of other fresh foods. Basically you want to give them all the nutritional needs for what they do (example, I have working show dogs, obedience, agility). Most likely on a daily basis you won't give them EVERYTHING they require, but by the end of a week, they will have had everything their bodies need.

It's just like what we eat. You know you don't get all your nutritional needs in one day. Some days you pig out on donuts and pizza, and other days you eat fresh fruits and veggies, etc. In the end, you are getting the nutrition your body needs. There really are very few people today who do NOT have the vitamins their bodies require I think if you approach feeding RAW in the same manner, you will be supplying your dog with the stuff he needs to be his best

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Obviously all of us posting to this thread are feeding raw.

I just started. I'm not worried about bacteria on my dog's tongue. I mean, come on, they lick their private parts and then kiss you... gotta be bacteria there too

I decided to start feeding RAW because it just seemed a more natural choice for the dog. I am feeding kibble in the mornings, and then feeding RAW at night. Because I show and board my dogs I want to be able to keep them on kibble for convenience. I am thinking of changing their kibble to an all natural choice. Right now I'm feeding Purina One Lamb and Rice (and I've been feeding that brand for over a year now).

My RAW meals have consisted of chicken livers, hearts and gizzards, tripe, lamb, chicken wings, turkey necks, Nature's Variety patties (these are frozen but all RAW), cottage cheese, green beans, eggs and leftovers that I sometimes have from dinner.

I've read that you should NOT feed RAW and Kibble together in the same meal. Kibble takes longer to digest and move through the gut than RAW does.

Hope that answers some of your questions. I'm really not the one to ask as I'm pretty new to this, but I am enjoying feeding my dogs RAW and they seem to be enjoying eating it
    you probably aready know this but if you're keeping your dogs on a half kibble, nature's variety makes a kibble called raw instinct, which is grain free. purina, for what i read uses grains --and soy, which is a big no-no for some breeds. i feed my portuguese water dog & lab one cup mixed w/ a raw pattie or medallions. i also give marrow bones and rawhide as chews for their teeth. my pwd isn't as stinky as he used to be, and both dogs have firmer and less stinky stools.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    You're not just tossing half a chicken to the dogs with no thought or rationale
    No, it's not just tossing half a chicken to the dogs. You want to give them muscle meats and bones, organ meats, and a variety of other fresh foods. Basically you want to give them all the nutritional needs for what they do (example, I have working show dogs, obedience, agility). Most likely on a daily basis you won't give them EVERYTHING they require, but by the end of a week, they will have had everything their bodies need.

It's just like what we eat. You know you don't get all your nutritional needs in one day. Some days you pig out on donuts and pizza, and other days you eat fresh fruits and veggies, etc. In the end, you are getting the nutrition your body needs. There really are very few people today who do NOT have the vitamins their bodies require I think if you approach feeding RAW in the same manner, you will be supplying your dog with the stuff he needs to be his best
    How do you know I like donuts?! ;D

hehehe, everyone likes donuts, don't they? ;D

Yes, I do know Nature's Valley has a kibble. I'm going to switch to a better kibble. But I had just gotten a bag of the Purina ONE Lamb and Rice and will finish it up before I switch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast