Question #2 re Timberwolf Organics and feeding raw

Thread: Question #2 re Timberwolf Organics and feeding raw

DefaultQuestion #2 re Timberwolf Organics and feeding raw

I recently switched Sam to Timberwolf Organic's Black Forest food. I think it is excellent and so far worth the price. And he likes it very much. Is actually excited about his food now when I put it in the dish.

Okay, I've read their info several times (and am fixing to post it.) But for those who don't want to read the whole thing, it says that their food is formulated to be able to add raw to it, but on the third or fourth reading I am understanding it to say, raw in the form of meat, not bones, because they've already increased the calcium to balance people adding raw meat to it. I'll try to underline or highlight that section if I can figure out how to do it. Will someone please tell me if that is what they understand this to say?

Note: I can't get it to underline or change color, so I've put ******* around their info that I'm curious about.

Black Forest™ Canid Formula
    An exclusive and highly successful formula in clearing up dermatologic and other conditions generated by adverse food reactions or the emergence of toxins and for pet owners that purely just wish to add their own protein sources, such as lamb, beef, chicken, turkey, eggs, salmon, yogurt etc, This formula is also capable of feeding animals that require a low protein or low fat diet because of disease and may be used in the management of canine obesity. Black Forest Canid Formula™ is fully balanced and meets the requirements of all life stages, however, we do encourage adding meats such as muscle meats, organ meats, sweetbreads (thymus, pancreas), eggs etc. This formula has high levels of linolenic acid or omega 3 essential fatty acids derived from our Wild Salmon Oil including EPA and DHA. In fact it has the highest ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids (1/1.5) that we know of and has 1.25% omega 3 essential fatty acids by weight. We have developed a new proprietary blend of herbal extracts and higher levels of mixed tocopherols and vitamin E to be able to preserve the high levels omega 3s. Research suggests that a high ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 essential fatty acids (greater than 1 to 6 omega 3 to omega 6) may lower the incidence of cancer and may even help animals with cancer live longer than they would otherwise. EPA benefits the heart and circulatory system by promoting healthy blood triglycerides and blood flow. EPA along with glucosomine also plays a role in the bodies natural movement of joints and can be beneficial to joint pain and inflammation. DHA is the most highly unsaturated fatty acid found in nature. DHA supports normal mental function, optimal memory, focus and learning. Black Forest Formula™ also contains fresh venison meat and organs, fresh seeds, cold water fish and gourmet nut oils such as walnut oil, and herbs and a variety of fruits such as parsley, thyme, basil, fenugreek, anise seed, blueberries, cranberries, black currants, pear and mint that are used to assist in digestion as well as for their anti - oxidant properties.

********Black Forest Canid Formula™ makes a wonderful BARF mixer formula for those who wish to add their own meats, as it has higher levels of calcium (1.5%) in relation to phosphorous levels to balance the phosphorous of added meat and because it has high levels of EPA fatty acids.**********

You may notice a very slight dark greenish tint to the kibble, do not be alarmed, this is due to the high levels of spirulina (spirulina is very dark green, almost black) and fenugreek.
    We do not put vitamin K3 (menadione sodium bisulfate) in any of our formulas because of health risks to animals and rely instead on high levels of foods that are high in vitamin k1 such as alfalfa, kelp, oats, egg yolk, and liver.
    Ingredients:
    Venison, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Lamb, Whole Ground Millet, Lamb Meal, Venison Meal, Whole Ground Barley, Low Ash Salmon Meal, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Unrefined Walnut Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Amaranth, Blueberries, Glucosomine, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Chicory Root, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols ( A Source of Vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine ( a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.
    MIN PROTEIN: 22%
    MIN FAT: 12%
    MAX FIBER: 5%
    MAX MOISTURE: 9%
    ASH: 5.4%
    Kcal/kg: 3,530
    OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS: 2.6%
    OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS: 1.2%
    CALCIUM: 1.2%
    PHOSPHOROUS: 0.9%
    VITAMIN A: 22,000 IU/KG
    VITAMIN D: 1,200 IU/KG
    VITAMIN E: 350 IU/KG
    COPPER: 16mg/KG
    Your pet's nutritional requirements will vary according to age, breed, climate, stress and activity levels. When switching to Timberwolf Organics pet foods gradually increase the amount fed while decreasing the previous food over a 5 - 14 day period. It is prudent to switch any new food gradually but because Timberwolf Organics pet foods are unique your pet may need more time to increase the bacteria necessary to completely digest some of the ingredients. We have included direct fed microbials or "probiotics" to assist in the development of beneficial colonies. Over feeding can also cause digestive upset and therefore feeding should be adjusted accordingly. You will find that you will feed as little as half of what you were previously feeding. Please do not overfeed!
    Timberwolf Organics pet foods are both formulated to meet AAFCO nutrient profiles for all life stages and have met animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures to substantiate that they provide complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

***********It is not necessary, but your pet can be supplemented with the Wild Salmon Oil and fresh meat, organs, sweetbreads and tripe if you desire. We do not recommend the feeding of chicken or turkey necks or backs unless included in the proper ratio as a part of the "whole animal".*********

Please provide plenty of fresh clean water for your pet at all times. In addition to proper diet and fresh water for optimum health, your pet needs regular exercise, fresh air, lots of love and attention and regular veterinary care. Try to schedule a veterinary checkup at least once a year

Thanks
    Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Question #2 re Timberwolf Organics and feeding raw

I understand it just the way you do. It sounds like meat, yes, meat w/ bones, no. The last part makes you wonder ... BUT the necks and backs are mostly bone so that must be what they are saying.

From what I've read TWO makes great food but has lousy customer service. You could try emailing them, but don't be terribly surprised if you don't hear from them.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think they are saying that if you want, you can supplement with raw. Emphasise on the "if the want" part -- it is not compulsory. I wouldn't be concerned about the calcium levels if you are only feeding occasional raw meals along with the Timberwolf. I'd be concerned about feeding this food to a pup but not to an adult dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Just curious...why would you be concerned to feed this to a puppy? Seems like its protein levels are not high? I don't know much so am just trying to begin to figure all this out....

And the customer service does suck, at least so far. I emailed them to ask how many calories were in a cup of the kibble, and never got a reply. They have shipped almost immediately tho.

My intention is to feed one meal of kibble and one meal of raw.

Frances

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    My intention is to feed one meal of kibble and one meal of raw.

Frances
    If you are just going to feed one meal kibble, and one raw, I wouldn't worry about it at all. You don't have to add anything to the TWO, they are just saying it won't mess up the ratios if you do.