Feed RAW to puppies?

Thread: Feed RAW to puppies?

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultFeed RAW to puppies?

I will be getting new puppy in the next couple of months. Is it okay to feed RAW to the pup? Or should I wait until his teeth are adult teeth? And what is suggested for RAW puppy food?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Feed RAW to puppies?

I don't think that I would. I would be afraid of supplying too much calcium, leading to poor development of bones and joints. Once they're older and not growing anymore, then I would switch.

I'm not an expert though, just my .02.

Absolutely not a problem. Puppies fed on raw grow at a steadier rate and avoid the problems associated with the sudden growth spurts that are seen in kibble fed pups. Remarkably prey animals have exactly the right balance of all the minerals and such its almost like mother nature had a plan.

Kelly and Amber

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If it is a 8week - 12 week old pup you might want to grind it first. After about 12 weeks they ususally start chewing throught he bones with out a problem.

Kelly and Amber CD RA WC CGC

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Read this thread...

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,30071.0.html

Unless your breeder feeds raw or you can talk to experienced people about raw feeding and create a suitable diet plan, I wouldn't do it. One of my dogs was a raw fed as a pup but I had 40 years of experience behind the feeding plan I used.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm with Trickster on this one. IF we get a little brother or sister for Ender, I won't feed RAW unless I'm super comfortable and have a very strict plan with my breeder being consulted and with me on it full board.
    ~Lindsay

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/ is a really good email group, and so is http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawchat/ They are both really full of info on feeding raw to both puppies and adults. Rawfeeding deals strictly with what when and how to feed. Raw chat deals with all other aspects of feeding raw. And you can check out http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html as another source. I urge you to learn and read everything you can get your hands on. (I spent probably an easy 200 hours doing resaerch because I couldn't believe it was so simple) My only regret was not switching her to raw as soon as I got Amber as a puppy. I didn't switch her till she was 6 months old but the next puppy I get will be raw from the begining.
    Good luck and I hope your puppy does well no matter what you choose.

Kelly and Amber CD RA WC CGC

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Linda, my next puppy will come home and be put on a raw diet. As said, they grow at a more natural rate. Lots of info out there on how to feed raw to puppies. One of my staff members, her Aussie breeder actually weens to raw.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org