Help (read ASAP please)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help (read ASAP please)

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp (read ASAP please)

Just gave my guys their first real bones. Ruger crunched a few times and just swallowed his chicken wings. Is he going to be okay?

Magnum played with hers a lot but had a lot more fun chewing them. I'm not worried about her.

Kinda worried Ruger will get blocked up. Please assure me. These were chicken wings. Raw.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help (read ASAP please)

this is the way luke and taylor eat their raw chicken wings. a few crunches and down the hatch.
    no problems for us at all.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

THanks. I'm kinda thinking he'll be okay because he is normally a pig about food and inhales huge chunks of stuff. And the bones did seem somewhat pliable (I could bend them with my fingers)

Magnum REALLY enjoyed eating. She finally got the hang of it and laid on the floor and really worked on those wings.

I'm going to try Turkey necks tomorrow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I had this same question a few weeks back and was assured Sami would be okay. That is exactly how she ate a turkey neck -- crunch, crunch, and down the hatch. : Oh, and yes, she was fine!

Thanks, I appreciate it. It just worried me a bit. I read online that when first starting with bones necks and wings are best, but since this was their first time with real bones... well... you know

I guess the more I do this, the less I will worry. I still remember feeding them their first raw liver.

The first time I fed Amber a raw chicken leg quarter I watched her the whole time thinking she would surely choke or have a bone stick in her or thousands of other horrible possibilties. And absolutely nothing happened it was rather uneventful. The only thing I ever noticed was that occasionally in the first weeks of feeding her raw I saw a piece of bone that made it all the way through. at first I panicked when I saw it but I was told to pick it up in a bag a feel it, it was totally soft and pliable. After a few weeks these dissapeared. Also now Amber usually gets a 1/2 chicken at a time and she seems to eat it not by biting off chunks and swallowing but by almost swallowing it whole!! She holds it in her mouth never setting it down and crunches and swallows and crunches and swallows. Kinda reminds me of a snake swallowing prey. She does actually chew alot more on some of the harder things like pork shoulders and such. Remember to stick with chicken only for at least the first month to avoid stomach upsets and diarreha before trying different proteins like beef or turkey etc. Also give organ meats in small quantities at first for the same reason.

Kelly and Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    Remember to stick with chicken only for at least the first month to avoid stomach upsets and diarreha before trying different proteins like beef or turkey etc. Also give organ meats in small quantities at first for the same reason.

Kelly and Amber
    I thought turkey was also fine to begin with? We are doing chicken and turkey as a start.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

You can crush the bones with a mallet, or get yourself a meat grinder, if you are concerned... When I was feeding raw, I used meat scissors to cut chicken necks and wings into bite size pieces (Kaylie wouldn't eat whole wings or necks, and Tristan had a tendency to inhale rather than chew)

Trickster is offline Senior Member

As others have said, they will be fine. Dogs were never designed to chew food thoroughly like we do.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

They'll be fine... Ender is the same way and yeah it freaked me out a little.

It's fine to feed a variety from the start... especially if you know your dogs don't have issues with certain protein sources. Within the first month Ender had had lamb, chicken, beef, turkey as well as all the other things like cottage cheese, eggs... etc.
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast