new puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new puppy

Defaultnew puppy

hi all and happy new year! my wee labby, Gus, came home dec.27, he's a real sweetie and doing very good with crate and potty training. I just love him... ;D i feed him barf, his breeder weaned him straight to barf, i bought fifty lbs. of it frozen fom her. when i took him in to get his vet check she was all smiles until i told her what i'm feeding... because she says you can't be sure he's getting the right amounts of everything he needs. she recommends switching to large breed puppy food. My breeder made this batch from a whole organically raised, grazed cow, its ground with the bones and organs and a small amount of berries, i also give him 1/2tsp. per 10 pounds of body weight of fish oil. the meal comes in about 1 lbs. "meat balls" which i defrost - right now he gets about half a ball per meal twice a day (which is how the breeder fed) she told me to add organic plain yogurt 1 tsp,or 1/2 a raw egg, or fresh/canned fish a couple times a week and i have also given him chicken necks and yesterday a piece of beef neck bone to gnaw on, if i give the chicken neck i take out about that size amount out of his meat ball. and so my question is: how do i know he's getting the right stuff? and the right quantities to ensure he's growing well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: new puppy

Hi, I am all new to this also. We actually just started raw diet a few days ago. I would read through the posts on this board and many threats talk about balance and how to do it. Some of the experienced raw feeders pointed out an interesting thing which is that even us humans don't always eat 100% balanced diet.I think that it is great that your breeder took the extra effort to feed her dogs and puppies good quality food.

That's one of the reasons I'll never feed raw to a puppy. I have no problems feeding it to my adult Lab, but it's impossible to monitor the nutrients (especially calcium which can cause so many developmental problems with the skeletal system) on raw diets. People do it, and they swear it's fine, but I don't share that same confidence.

Having said that, I haven't run across too many vets that approve of raw diets. I know mine doesn't, yet he is absolutely fine. In fact, I let his vet run a full chem panel just to check is overall health and have a some baseline numbers should there be any problems in the future. Everything is in the normal ranges, so I feel pretty good about his diet.

Overall, the diet sounds pretty good - but with the chicken necks, ground bones, and yogurt I'd be concerned about too much calcium in the diet. I'd discuss things with the breeder, and she feels comfortable that the diet is appropriate, I'd go with her.

I know people use the analogy of a grown human's diet, but that doesn't work for puppies. Look at how we treat babies - we're extremely concerned with a balanced diet. The reason is adults usually have reserves and more leeway in their diet. Babies and puppies don't have much of a cushion and nutritional deficiencies can cause harm pretty quickly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nick - I didn't think of that...

Quote Originally Posted by CHOCOLATA
    Nick - I didn't think of that...
    Me either, my vet actually pointed that out. Although I don't always take his word on nutrition stuff, he does make some good points from time-to-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Me either, my vet actually pointed that out. Although I don't always take his word on nutrition stuff, he does make some good points from time-to-time.
    We just started and I am kind of scared to tell my vet ???We are not planning to go any time soon, but I remember when we first got Chocolata my vet was giving me advices to food brands that I would not want to feed. Chocolata had
    diarrhea for the first few months, and I was trying to figure out the right thing to feed. It turned out to be stress related as she was adopted and all that stuff associated with it (being turned into a shelter by her owner, then going into rescue organization and then coming to her forever home) must have been stressfull.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I'm on the fence with raw feeding pups. My Murph was raw fed as a pup, however his breeder has been 'in the business' and feeding raw for almost 40 years so I trust her. She provided us with very detailed diet sheets and feeding instructions. After almost 4 years, I can't say Murph has been negatively effected by being fed raw for the first 6 months of life.

That said, I would not go into feeding raw a pup without any guidance. I would not be confident enough to do it for the reasons Nick stated.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I think that if you are confident in your breeder and she is willing to teach you this stuff.. I would feel comfortable doing it myself. We started Ender on RAW when he was about 8 months old because he just couldn't tolerate kibble.

If I were you I'd ask more questions of the breeder. Find out how long she's been feeding barf to her puppies (some breeders have been doing it over generations so they know what works).
    ~Lindsay

thanks for the replies, it is all very confusing, i really just want the best for my pup! i think i may try to find a holisic vet that will guide me. Gus's breeder switched all her dogs and puppies to raw about 3 years ago and of course she swears by it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Oh and don't worrry too much about what the vet says with regards to nutrition. In fact, I take my vet's advice with a grain of salt always.

Ender had digestive issues for months when we got him. No matter what we did we kept getting loose stool. We switched his food, gave him medication, did bland diets... etc. Vet wanted us to use their food of course, and give him meds... which we tried... never worked.

Finally we switched to RAW and within 24 hrs all the issues Ender had just stopped. Our main vet is fine with it. She says that if we are having success then she's okay with it. The other vet Ender sometimes sees (for an emergency) says "it's not natural" (rofl!) but she also says Ender "could lose some weight"... where he is actually on the skinny side.

Vets get about one class in nutrition in vet school. To me, a breeder who has done her research and has been doing this for over three years trumps that... provided she is responsible and keeps track of her puppies and how they are doing on the diet. After three years, she must have some 2 yr olds that have been fed RAW all their lives... ask how they are doing.

I also believe that a lot of times Vets give the lines that have been fed to them by the dog food companies. Of course your breeder is also selling you the food so she has a motivation to make sure you keep on it. Is she willing to "give up" her recipe so you can make it yourself?
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast