Question re ground venison

Thread: Question re ground venison

DefaultQuestion re ground venison

I was given a deer in the form of ground and deer steaks. I know the ground has no bone, and I suspect the steaks only have a small one. I saw Nick say something in a post about supplementing with bone meal. What would be the ratio of bone meal (is that the stuff you buy at the gardening center???) to ground venison?

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Question re ground venison

I've seen the bone meal at the lawn and garden store, but I don't think it's the same thing (I've never bought it so I'm not sure what's in it...I'd be afraid it's got fertilizers in it and it's definitely not food quality). You can buy the food quality stuff online and some health food centers sell it. I'm really not sure why humans take it.

I try not to feed too many meals in a row where I have to supplement, for one I don't know if I have the right ratio. I usually put in a tablespoon of bone meal if I'm feeding ground venison or deer steaks due to the lack of bone. I'll balance it with some chicken backs just in case I'm off. I also feed kibble in the morning, so I think I have a little bit of wiggle room.

DefaultRe: Question re ground venison

I forgot to add, some people just give egg shells. If you put eggshells in the oven for a few hours on low temp, then ground them up you get a fine powder that's mainly calcium.