Just Curious

Thread: Just Curious

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultJust Curious

I've been reading the posts here regarding raw, and I'm interested, though I don't know that it's something we will do. I know I need to do research, but gotta make the time to do that. Anyway, what I'm wondering first off is, how can you be sure that the raw meat is not infected with E Coli or something else that could make your dog sick? Or isn't that a concern, does it not affect dogs? I'm just thinking, we have to thoroughly cook meat as humans, before we eat it.... but for dogs you don't need to... and sorry if this has been discussed already. Also, if we decided to do raw, since we raise hogs, that would be a very cheap food source. What do you think of feeding raw pork?

TIA!
    Barb

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Just Curious

Our dogs digestive systems are not the same as ours. At the moment I can't think to type out why they aren't affected like we are by ecoli and such.. but it has to do with their digestive system being very different from ours. I usually try to think "would a wolf eat this?" if the answer is yes... I'm pretty sure it's gonna be good for Ender.

Oh and I envy you on the pork thing.
    ~Lindsay

Dogs can, and do, get sick from e. coli and salmonella so it's important to care for the food in the same manner we do the meat we eat (minus the cooking). Buy only fresh meat, keep it properly refrigerated, thaw in the fridge and not on the counter, etc.

The reason they don't get sick as often and can eat that nasty rotten stuff in the wild (although not advisable) is that their digestive tract is shorter. This keeps the food from "brewing" inside the stomach like it can in our longer digestive tract. I've also read where the pH of their stomach is allegedly a bit lower than ours (making it more acidic) but I haven't determined if that's exactly true or not.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Yea yeah... what nick said.

My brain isn't working. We treat Ender's food just like we do our own minus the cooking.
    ~Lindsay

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What Enders Mom and Nick said.

Pork meat is fine to feed raw. A big portion of what I feed is poultry (because it is cheap and easily available) but I also feed some pork, beef and other meats.

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Dogs can, and do, get sick from e. coli and salmonella so it's important to care for the food in the same manner we do the meat we eat (minus the cooking). Buy only fresh meat, keep it properly refrigerated, thaw in the fridge and not on the counter, etc.

The reason they don't get sick as often and can eat that nasty rotten stuff in the wild (although not advisable) is that their digestive tract is shorter. This keeps the food from "brewing" inside the stomach like it can in our longer digestive tract. I've also read where the pH of their stomach is allegedly a bit lower than ours (making it more acidic) but I haven't determined if that's exactly true or not.
    Okay, but what if the meat is already infected when you buy it? That is what I'm worried about. When it goes thru the processing, if the facility isn't careful enough, and the meat gets contaminated.... I know it doesn't happen often, but I would hate for my dog to get sick. Does this worry any of you that feed raw?

Yeah, that is a concern, but I believe it is very rare. What may make us sick isn't enough to make them sick unless they've got a immune system deficiency...and that goes back to the biological differences we discussed earlier.

Oddly enough, people can get sick from kibble. It's still made out of meat and real food, and there have been cases of it (yet the pet didn't get sick).

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If you get your meat from a quality supplier it shouldn't be much of a concern.

IMO, although there are risks (even if they are minimal), if you worry too much you take the enjoyment out of raw feeding. Watching your dog/s chow down on natural food is part of the fun. If you take sensible precautions when handling the meat you are very unlikely to experience problems.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    What may make us sick isn't enough to make them sick unless they've got a immune system deficiency...and that goes back to the biological differences we discussed earlier.
    Often that is from over vaccinating. I also follow the 2006 suggestions and now titer rather than give the annual shots. I give Caleb stuff to build his immuine system, too. We don't think about what the annual boosters do to the immune system.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    If you get your meat from a quality supplier it shouldn't be much of a concern.

IMO, although there are risks (even if they are minimal),
    Again, good point. There are terrible risks in feeding kibble, too, but we don't think too much about it and just do it. I get my meat from places that don't use growth hormones, feed more natural diets and it does not cost much more. Again, they are reputable places--grocery stores, health food stores, Hare-Today, so I don't really worry at all. Not any more than what I do when I feed kibble--actually less!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org