Tripe
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripe

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultTripe

I bought some Tripe today. I had no idea what it was so I googled it. Cow Stomach. Oh boy, this should really be tasty

My dogs are loving raw foods. My picky eater, Ms. Magnum is really enjoying it.

What amazes me is how vets tell you not to feed table scraps, or switch their diets too quickly, and yet I'm basically giving my guys something new five nights a week and they are thriving. Go figure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Tripe

Make sure you get the green tripe and not the white bleached stuff at the grocery store. The green tripe is not for human consumption, so I am not sure where to get it besides the internet. http://www.greentripe.com/ They have it available through my co-op, so that's where I get it.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

This is white. Should I not feed it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well, I don't think it will hurt them at all...but the white tripe has been cleaned, scalded and bleached so it has virtually no nutritional value. The green tripe is the cow stomach that has been ground up, including any hay or grass that was still in the stomach. It is not bleached or anything and is full of vitamins, enzymes and good bacterias. (You can even buy it with ground up trachea and gullet, which is a natural source of chondroiton that is good for the joints.) The green tripe smells kind of bad, but the dogs will LOVE it. Even my picky Oreo LOVES green tripe.

I have learned some weird stuff in the process of doing this diet.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

The green tripe doesn't smell kind of bad, it smells horrible! The dogs love it, though - so I hold my breath and let them have at it. I haven't found it fresh yet, so I buy canned tripe and feed it occasionally.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others about the green tripe. Some pet stores have green tripe in the freezer section that is prepackaged...this is always an option if, like me, you find the smell repulsive!

What amazes me is how vets tell you not to feed table scraps, or switch their diets too quickly, and yet I'm basically giving my guys something new five nights a week and they are thriving. Go figure
    Your vets comments hold true when switching between kibbles but not with raw or other fresh foods. Most kibbles are so ingredient dense and full of things a dog does not need so an upset stomach is almost a certainty if you switch too fast...

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labsrme
    The green tripe doesn't smell kind of bad, it smells horrible!
    HERE, HERE!!! Nasty stuff but they love it. Linda, I can bring down a few containers for you if you like when I come. I sell it at the training center.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

ThatsMyGirl Guest

The only tripe I've ever seen is Solid Gold's Green Tripe (canned). I bought several containers and boy was Sami crazy about it. Hard to say if I've ever smelled anything worse, though. :P

Do you wash the tripe off first before giving it to them? How big (for uncanned tripe) do you cut it up? Can you put it in a blender and do it that way?

Where do you find the canned stuff?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast