My mom gave me some chicken over Christmas

Thread: My mom gave me some chicken over Christmas

DefaultMy mom gave me some chicken over Christmas

Hi everyone, we have been so busy with the Holidays that we have not had time to stop. I am still educating myself on the raw diet, and thougt I'd try how Chocolata likes it. I gave her chicken leg - she was too funny. She first started licking it, and then ate it. I am planning to buy a freezer in the Christmas sale or in an outlet store, and then we will slowly jump into it. Chocolata wanted to take her chicken leg away from the kitchen which I was not excited about. I am ok with the raw meat on tiles, but not all over the house :
    Also, what procedures (rather fast) do you do to keep your house sanitized since you feed raw?
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: My mom gave me some chicken over Christmas

I just clean the cabinets with what I normally do - usually the Chlorox kitchen spray. I feed them outside, so I avoid all the messes.

I've seen people use those crates with the plastic bottoms and wire sides (mainly because they're cheap and also because usually that plastic bottom comes out for easy cleaning) for feeding. Put their bowl in the crate, lock 'em in, problem solved.

Nick - great idea. I live in an apartment - so eating outside is not an option for now. Chocolata has a crate anyway = she is in it when I work. I have been playing with the idea of stopping the crating, but she proved me wrong over Christmas. At night when we were sleeping she sneaked into the kitchen, where I had my baking needs, and pulled a bag with flour on the floor. I guess she wanted me to feel like we have snow, and she of course ate some of that snow. :P

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If outside is not an option, I would also go with the crate. If you remove her bedding you can feed her and then wipe the crate tray with disinfectant after each meal.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I don't worry about Ruger. He scarfs his down at his bowl.
    Magnum likes to take pieces of her food out and "examine" them on the floor. I put her bowl down on a bath towel. When she's done eating, the towel goes in the washer.

I do feed outside. When I went to Arizona for three days I just feed Amber at the show grounds on the grass. I took her frozen chicken 1/2's with me in a cooler. by the last day the last one was still cold but thawed. For a longer show or travel session you could pack ice in the cooler to keep them cold/frozen longer or you could stop at a grocery store and buy some if need be. Or you could even just make sure your room has a fridge with a freezer.

Kelly and Amber