RMBs... what to order... need some help here :)

Thread: RMBs... what to order... need some help here :)

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRMBs... what to order... need some help here :)

Ok.. so far I've been lazy or hesitant to go outside my "prepackaged" box other than to do whole chickens cut up because they are the best bone/muscle/organ ratio. I've been doing Bravo! for Ender's "other" meats such as beef and lamb and even some elk in there. (my baby deserves the best :P )

So... it's time for me to bite the bullet and start ordering more "hardcore" raw as I'd like to say. But I'm scared about the ratio thing... so here goes.

UW Provisions has these ungodly good prices and they are relatively close by (Madison, where my mom lives). They deliver (in large quantities) to the surrounding states so if anyone in Michigan UP, Eastern Iowa, or Illinois want the info, I'll be glad to share.

Some things I'm considering: (prices listed are per pound)

Beef Neck Bones: $1.11
    Beef Heart Bone Out: $0.49 (come in a 60 lb case!)

Pork Spare rib brisket tips: $0.49 (30 lb case)

What are "pork hocks"? (they are $0.55 per pound)

Chicken Leg Quarters: $0.39 (now since that's just bone/muscle I need to supplement with some organ meet right?)
    Chicken backs: $0.32
    Chicken Liver: $0.55

Turkey wings: $0.51
    Turkey ground: $0.89 (that's all muscle meet no?)
    Mech Gr. Turkey: $0.65 (it's less so you think this is whole turkeys bone organ meat and all ground up?)

Fish prices: (I know I gotta be better about adding fish or fish oil to Ender's diet)
    poll fillet 2-4 oz each: $1.29
    whtg drsd-hdlss: $0.92
    tilapia gutted scaleless: $0.92 (I'm leaning towards this)

Ducks, whole, individually wrapped: $1.52 (for variety?)

Any of these things I shouldn't get or definitely should get? How much? Eeek... I'm so confused.. but the Bravo! IS about $1.50 per pound (average) and the chicken I've been getting from the grocery store is more around $0.79. Obviosly UWProvisions is going to save money.

Thank gawd we have a freezer!
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: RMBs... what to order... need some help here :)

I like the chicken backs, whole ducks and fish. Any whole bird will have a good balance of bone, meat, and organs - so it takes the guesswork out of it.

Nick.. yeah it's definitely nice to feed the birds from the ratio perspective but I do feel like it will take away the benefits of variety if I stick to them.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    Nick.. yeah it's definitely nice to feed the birds from the ratio perspective but I do feel like it will take away the benefits of variety if I stick to them.
    True, but you can feed turkey, duck and chicken. Although all poultry, they're still different, and then you've got your fish. I feed almost all poultry just because it's easier to digest than beef, and because it's readily available for me. The only exception is this time of year when deer meat is plentiful (but that causes problems due to lack of bone which I usually supplement with bone meal).

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Order as much as you can. ;D It all looks good to me. With my own dogs I like feeding whole prey when possible so the ducks would appeal to me. Turkey wings are also a favorite at our house as are the beef necks and pork ribs.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I just thought I'd say that if you want some bargin prices on poultry parts, visit your local poultry farm. We picked up our Christmas turkey and goose today. We also got 30lbs of turkey necks, 20lbs of chicken necks and two huge crate fulls of organ meat -- including brains and chicken/turkey feet!! we couldn't get anymore (car was full) but I'll be going back in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom

UW Provisions has these ungodly good prices and they are relatively close by (Madison, where my mom lives). They deliver (in large quantities) to the surrounding states so if anyone in Michigan UP, Eastern Iowa, or Illinois want the info, I'll be glad to share.
    Do you think they would deliver to Chicago? Would you please pass their contact?

I bet they would.

http://www.uwprovision.com/
    ~Lindsay