advantages of raw meals?

Thread: advantages of raw meals?

DefaultRe: advantages of raw meals?

What are the advantages of feeding raw food to my labrador? How often should I feed him raw? He's in Eukanuba right now.

My lab is a year and 3months old at around 44pounds...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Depending on how well your dog is doing on kibble, you may not see many changes if and when you switch to raw. People with problem dogs (itchy skin, bad ears, poor coat, etc.) are often the ones who notice the big changes. That being said, raw will not work for all dogs...some thrive on it, others don't.

The advantages include small, hard poops that don't smell and turn white after a day or two, no doggy smell, perfect white teeth, better skin and coat and general better well being. Feeding raw will have different effects on different dogs.

How often should I feed him raw
    Have you done your research? I would never suggest jumping in to feeding raw without doing a lot of research first. Many people start out feeding prepackaged raw and then move on to feeding half real raw and half kibble, then full raw. Or there are people like me who feed half and half for convenience.

Ditto what Trickster said, especially the part about doing your research first. If you do decide to switch to raw, don't be surprised if your dog turns his/her nose up at it the first few meals. Just persist and hunger will win out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hmmm...general well being... where do I start researching?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

where do I start researching?
    Here for a start. Have a read through all the threads. Lots of valuable information. This is a very new section of the forum so expect lots more to come. Enders Mom posted an excellent list of RMB'S/muscle/organ meat. Also, feel free to post as many questions as you want -- everyone who frequents this forum is very willing to help.

Use the internet to your advantage. I would pull up some links for you but it is easier on your behalf to type 'raw feeding' into Google or Yahoo! there are many, many sites devoted to raw feeding. Again, read as much as possible.

Try and locate some raw feeders in your area. They are also a valuable source of information and they might be able to point you in the direction of good meat suppliers -- essential to keep costs down.

If you are serious about raw feeding you really have two places to start...either by jumping in cold turkey and feeding 'real' raw or by pre packaged raw. Pre packaged is fine in the short term but it is costly so if I were you, I'd start with the real deal. For anyone who questions their ability to feed a "balanced" diet, I say look at your own diet. Do YOU eat a balanced diet every day? do you need a degree in nutrition to feed you and your family? the answer is no. Despite what dog food companies want you to believe, feeding a dog is not rocket science. YES you must have reasonable ratios of RMB'S/muscle/organ meat in place but you don't need to fuss with percentages.

I recommend starting with a single meat source (chicken) for a few weeks and building from there. Then after your dog has adjusted to his new diet you can start adding other meats.