Question re calorie requirements

Thread: Question re calorie requirements

DefaultQuestion re calorie requirements

I think I have been underfeeding Sam. According to the vet I'm going to now, his scales say Sam weighs 60.8 pounds. My old vet scales said 63 last time I was in there which was several months ago.
    I looked on the Internet today to try to find out how many calories a dog would require of his weight, and of course it depends on age and activity etc., but after seeing several sites, I come up with about 1500 calories per day for an active dog. Not a working dog, but just an active one, which i would say he is.
    If that is the case then he's only been getting around 1300.
    Does the 1500 sound about right to those of you who know?
    The new vet said he wasn't TOO thin, but could stand to gain a pound or two. You can't really see his ribs, but you almost can depending on how he stands.
    When his new food comes, I'm going to calculate how much of it is needed for 1500, but just wondered it that sounded right to you.....seems like a LOT to me.....

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question re calorie requirements

I don't know what sites you've visited -- BUT IF they're dog food mfrs' sites, then I can understand it.

Most dog food bags notoriously recommend feeding "WEIGH MORE" than dogs should have.

My Puff [YF, AKC field line (competitive breeder), 65 lbs., DOB: 8-'01] gets a lot of exercise every day (60-70 minutes, offleash -- I walk 2 miles, she explores and retrieves for probably 4+ miles) regardless of weather (below zero, included). Then she gets briefer amounts a couple times after that through the day.

Puff gets 1¼ of Kirkland C&R kibble <362 kcals/cup> 2X/day. That's 905 kcals/day and her vets at K-State say her condition is perfect. She has very little fat, her double coat is thinner than most Labs so when the sun is low early in the morning, you can often see some of her ribs.

Puff's one the the rare, mutant Labs (10% or less) that self-regulates her food intake and often she's recently been asking for a little more. I think it's because of the colder weather -- possibly she often gets 1,000 kcals some days.

A longterm longitudinal study done by the nutritional scientists at Nestlé-Purina was published in the last 3-4 years in JAVMA (J of Amer.VetMed Assocn). It matched Lab littermates by gender and weight. The littermate in the experimental control group got the normal amount of food while its littermate in the experimental group got either 70 or 75% (can't remember which). After 15-17 years, the Labs in the experimental (reduced kcal group) had significantly longer lives and significantly fewer health problems.

So it's clear on which side it's better to err a little.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

the last site I looked at was www.phouka.com/dogs/dog_amount.html

This is very confusing.

And you are right.....I would rather he were too thin than too fat.

Frances

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I find feeding raw hard to judge to amount to feed and a lot of sites have different views.
    During cold weather I sometimes feed more as they seemed to get hungry. Kassa would sometimes ask for more, and couldn't settle until I gave it to her.

Ernie self regulates so if he asks for more he really does need it. If he has too much he leaves it.

Bob Pr advise is good.

It is better to have a leaner dog. I at one stage thought Ernie was getting too thin, but the vet said he could loose a little more.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Sam I Am, that Phouka site you referenced is crazy in its caloric recommendations.

It recommends that my Puff be fed at least 2310 kcals/day !! And that's if she was an inside couch potato dog without their recommended increases for activity level and exposure to cold.

Holy Cow!!!!

The company that makes Diamond, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover, and Kirkland (K. is sold only in COSTCO warehouse clubs) and a number of other brands has the most reasonable recommended amounts to feed that I've seen on a dog food mfr's bag although it's still quite a bit more than my Puff wants or needs.

For instance, on my bag of Kirkland C&R (362 kcals/cup), for dogs in the 60-80 lb. weight range, it recommends feeding between 3¼ - 3¾ cups a day; that amounts to 1180 - 1352 kcals/day.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

I start with this..

http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/mer.htm

a modertly active dog (not puppy) at 60 pounds would be around 1300 and 1575/day depending on which model you use. They have both calcualtors on the site.

I have a 61 lb lab (80-85% grown )and I give him about 1450-1500/day including treats.

I apologize for posting on this child forum dedicated to BARF feedings.

I entered by mistake, saw the post to which I responded, etc.

The person asking the original question I think was also similarly misplaced -- most probably a person feeding kibble rather than BARF.

Sorry!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Does the 1500 sound about right to those of you who know?
    The new vet said he wasn't TOO thin, but could stand to gain a pound or two. You can't really see his ribs, but you almost can depending on how he stands.
    When his new food comes, I'm going to calculate how much of it is needed for 1500, but just wondered it that sounded right to you.....seems like a LOT to me.....
    Are you feeding Sam kibble or raw?

At the moment, I'm switching him (1/2 and 1/2) to Timber Wolf Organics. I hope to have him on that soon, and will then feed one meal of that per day and one meal of raw.
    I don't see what difference it makes where his calories come from, whether raw or kibble, metabolically I mean. I also looked at the cocker spaniel site and it seemed to come out a bit less. So I guess I'll just wing it, and start with around 1300.
    I haven't been able to get an answer from the TW people re how many calories are in a cup of their food. If I'm remembering right it was listed on their web site as something like 1350 per kilogram, and if I managed to break that down right, it came out to about 500 per cup. Which would work out to about 2.5 cps per day which doesn't seem like very much food.

Frances

Trickster is offline Senior Member

2 - 2.5 cups is what I would expect to feed on a food like Timberwolf Organics.

With raw food (and both my boys are pretty much the same weight as your Sam) I feed 2lbs a day.

Rather then focus on calories I always go by the condition of the dog. As long as you can't see but can easily feel his ribs his weight is probably perfect. People are just used to seeing fat dogs.