RAW diet questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAW diet questions

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRAW diet questions

I have been toying with the idea of feeding RAW for the longest time. Buck is prone to having gunky ears. Everytime I start him on a new quality kibble he does well for a few months and then it's back to gunky ears and large poops.

Thing is...I use treats to train him and such. If I switched him to a RAW diet would I also have to change the treats I give him? He gets Old Mother Hubbard cookies now and some of his kibble and when I need him to be extra extra attentive he gets hot dog pieces.

Also, what is the cost of feeding RAW compared to kibble. I pay about $1/lb of kibble right now.
    I am also not much of a shopper. So, looking for chicken and other meat for cheap will probably not be something I will be up to. Are prepackaged RAW diet stuff as good as getting your own chicken and other meats????

Pretty much what is stopping me from going to a RAW diet is my uncertainty about it's costs and convenience of use...But at the same time I really need to find a way to keep his ears clear and his poop normal.

TIA!!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: RAW diet questions

Thing is...I use treats to train him and such. If I switched him to a RAW diet would I also have to change the treats I give him? He gets Old Mother Hubbard cookies now and some of his kibble and when I need him to be extra extra attentive he gets hot dog pieces.
    Only if you want to. If you were feeding a raw diet specifically to avoid all grains (for example) you would want to cut the treats out but otherwise, it is up to you. Many people feed half raw/half kibble with great success. You might want to think about that before you jump the gun straight into all raw.

Also, what is the cost of feeding RAW compared to kibble. I pay about $1/lb of kibble right now.
    I am also not much of a shopper. So, looking for chicken and other meat for cheap will probably not be something I will be up to. Are prepackaged RAW diet stuff as good as getting your own chicken and other meats?
    Personally, raw is cheaper than kibble for me, but I can't tell you how much it will cost you because it totally depends on what kibble you feed, where you will get your raw supplies from, how much/what you feed, etc.

Prepackaged stuff is expensive (probably more so than kibble) but it is a good way to start. I much prefer feeding my own meats.

Pretty much what is stopping me from going to a RAW diet is my uncertainty about it's costs and convenience of use...But at the same time I really need to find a way to keep his ears clear and his poop normal
    Start with feeding occasional raw meals and when your confidence builds, if you want, switch to half and half. Begin your occasional raw meals with easy ingredients -- most people start with chicken as a base and build from there. Here is an easy meal for you...1-2 chicken necks, 4 chicken wings and a raw egg.

I forgot to add that if you want to start with prepackaged, ThatsMyGirl posted an excellent list of options.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Prepackaged is gonna run you from $1.25 per pound to $2 per pound. It certainly isn't economical.

However, if you have a freezer and can buy stuff in bulk.. you can start seeing prices like $0.49-$1.00 per pound depending on the kind of meat, where you are getting it, etc.
    ~Lindsay

Prepackaged is gonna run you from $1.25 per pound to $2 per pound. It certainly isn't economical.
    Ouch...that is expensive.

Again, I think prepackaged is excellent to start with, but feeding a dog is not rocket science so raw is not as difficult as you might think. Actual meat is much cheaper when you find some good suppliers.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    prices like $0.49-$1.00 per pound depending on the kind of meat, where you are getting it, etc.
    this is about how much i pay, too, and right now we are on 1/2 kibble and 1/2 raw, and i continue to use kibble and cookies for treats without any problems.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

I was definitely thinking about doing it half and half to start with.

So do you guys go to like wholesale type suppliers for meats and such? Town I live in there aren't any old fashioned small private butcher stores. We have grocery stores or we have wholesale places like Sam's Club and BJ's Wholesale.

Also, if I start out say feeding him RAW only once or twice a week. Do you think it will show any noticeable difference in his health?

I am not sure if once or twice a week will make a difference. It might make a difference to his teeth and his poop on the days you feed raw but I don't know about long term benefits. I would think you would need to feed at least 5 raw meals a week to see noticeable changes.

oh ok that is what I was guessing. I think I will start shopping around and maybe slowly start with a half and half diet and see how he does. I don't think I can eliminate any of his treats and what not entirely though. We'll start training for Rally comp. in january and the only kind of training he responds to in a positive manner is treats. :
    I thought I'd try using a prong collar for his doggie daycare morning insanities and that backfired! :...whole other story i guess.

Anyways, I just talked to my mom about this. She does more grocery shopping than I do...she knows where the deals are. Apparantly it is possible to get whole chickens at 49 cents/ lb around here. I guess every time there is a sale I can bulk up.

Also, I am sure this question has been asked a million times before...Are vegetables also included in a RAW diet? I realise Dogs by nature are carnivores...sooo is it necessary to give them any veges??

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball
    I use meat treats all the time for training. Granted though they are cooked. I typically fry/poach steak with garlic. It makes great treats and are completely human edible too! (Sometimes I eat more out of the training treat bag than the dogs do).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast