Should we worry about antibiotics+hormone free meat?

Thread: Should we worry about antibiotics+hormone free meat?

DefaultShould we worry about antibiotics+hormone free meat?

Dear God, this dog is soon going to eat better than me Should I be buying her antibiotics and hormone free meat?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Should we worry about antibiotics+hormone free meat?

I would be concerned about "additives" in meat, but where can you draw the line?
    We'll be eating hot dogs, and the dogs get fresh organic beef!

There's probably not enough information available relating to dogs and hormones in beef, so it is probably up to you to decide.
    I try to avoid "feedlot" type beef, so will my dog!

[attachment deleted by admin]

I suppose it's a matter of trying to choose the lesser of two evils. Kibble which perhaps contains the hormones and antibiotics, or raw which also perhaps contains the same.
    And you are right about the cost.......I've just ordered some new kibble for Sam to try which costs more per pound than the meat I buy for myself. I don't each much meat, but still........
    However, I was given a deer the other day and part of an elk, so he's going to be having some of both of those as the raw side of his diet which will balance out the cost of the new kibble, for a while at least.

Frances

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Frances, you are right... We don't eat much meat, because it is expensive, and we prefer to eat better quality and less of it. While Chocolata gets everything, and more new things than myself :'( - I will try to find the best quality meat possible for a decent cost. Friend of mine suggested farms outside of the city, I will get into that. I just started looking into buying a freezer, because I have nowhere to put her meat. Can you believe that I will put a freezer in an apartment just so my baby can eat healthy? I already had to explain to my husband that the freezer is not an extra storage for more ice cream ;D

One of the benefits of feeding chicken is that the USDA prohibits the use of hormones. In fact, Tyson got in trouble a few years ago for advertising hormone free chicken - why? Because all chicken is hormone free.

I do try to eat organic meats for myself, and I do buy a lot of chicken backs from Wild Oats, but quite frankly it's too expensive for both of us to eat like that. I get what I can for the both of us there, but sometimes the bank account doesn't support that.

In the end, I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. There are plenty of other things in life that are much more hazardous for us. If you can afford it, I'd go organic, if not I wouldn't (and I don't) worry about it.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

In the end, I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. There are plenty of other things in life that are much more hazardous for us. If you can afford it, I'd go organic, if not I wouldn't (and I don't) worry about it.
    I agree.

We buy organic vegetables and occasionally organic meat for us, but we can't afford to feed the dogs organic meat as well. That said, we buy meat for our dogs from butchers and farm shops so we know the source...also, we ONLY buy free range. Because the meat we buy is from local sources we know it has not been messed with like a lot of store brand meat often is.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

We are blessed in our area the major chicken producer specializes in not having growth hormones, etc in their chicken. So, that is what I usually get Caleb. When I do vegies, they usually are not organic. But, the rest of his meat I get from Hare Today which is also safe meat.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org