Ender's Mom ... Or Any Other Experienced Raw Feeder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ender's Mom ... Or Any Other Experienced Raw Feeder

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultEnder's Mom ... Or Any Other Experienced Raw Feeder

I just looked at the raw calculator of the Bravo site (http://www.bravorawdiet.com/howmuch.html) -- but I wonder if you can apply those same rules to other foods. For instance, it says that I should feed Sami 1.375 lbs. a day. Does that mean I could feed her 1.375 lbs. of chicken instead? Wouldn't the calories be different depending on what you fed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ender's Mom ... Or Any Other Experienced Raw Feeder

Yes. I feed the same amount (in pounds) whether I'm feeding Bravo Blends or RMBs like chicken quarters.

Really it says 1.375 lbs per day? or per meal?
    ~Lindsay

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    Yes. I feed the same amount (in pounds) whether I'm feeding Bravo Blends or RMBs like chicken quarters.

Really it says 1.375 lbs per day? or per meal?
    Yes, really. Remember she's only 55 lbs. and I said that I wanted to maintain her weight.

For comparison, I checked the Nature's Variety calculator (http://www.naturesvariety.com/ifc.la...aturesvariety:) and it allows you to select an "activity level" for your dog. I said Sami was "active" and came up w/ a daily ration of only slightly over 16 oz. That's just 1 lb. for a day. No wonder she's lost weight. :P For the last week I've upped her food because I thought she was looking a little too thin.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Oh.. I didn't realize she weighed so little! (Ender is 66 lbs and I consider him "small") Don't get me wrong, he's perfect.. but I consider him to be at the smaller end of the male spectrum.

I think you have to mess with it and see what works. We monitored Ender pretty closely after he appeared to "even out" when on RAW. I think the Bravo calcs are a good place to start... obviously it is still up to you to adjust if your dog is more active or less active... needs to lose/gain weight... etc.
    ~Lindsay

Trickster is offline Senior Member

The general rule is to feed 2-3% of the dogs body weight.

My smallest dog is 58lbs and he gets 2lbs of raw a day.

1lb doesn't seem like enough even for a 55lbs dog. If Sami is active she could probably use 2lbs a day. If she starts gaining weight, you can cut back to 1.5lbs. It is all about finding a happy medium.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster

My smallest dog is 58lbs and he gets 2lbs of raw a day.

1lb doesn't seem like enough even for a 55lbs dog. If Sami is active she could probably use 2lbs a day. If she starts gaining weight, you can cut back to 1.5lbs. It is all about finding a happy medium.
    Yikes, no wonder she dropped weight so fast ~ I've been starvin' my baby :-\

I would classify her as active ~ we walk, off leash, for at least an hour every morning. That will usually include lots of running in the woods, retrieving (I take a tennis ball), and often swimming; and then we'll go out and do at least one or two more play sessions (retrieving) later in the day.

Where do you weight your pups to see if they are losing weight or not? Chocolata is approx. 65 lbs, and now in the cold Chicago winter her level of activity is medium. We'll do more over Christmas, but it becomes quite challenging to give her all the exercise in 20degrees cold :'(

ThatsMyGirl Guest

My vet is very close so I have her weighed at the vet. Petsmart (if they have Banfield vets inside) will also have a scale.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster

That is what I have always heard as well. Now, it also depends on the dog. Caleb is around 78 pounds and his holistic vet is always on me about taking some weight off him. Ok, you tell me how--most days he gets one or two chicken backs or 3/4 a pound of meat in the morning and two spoonsful of vegie mixture and a heaping spoonful of tripe. You tell me where to cut back! So, it also depends on the individual's metabolism.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I've also heard that 2-3% of ideal body weight is a good guideline when feeding raw, but you pretty much have to start at a certain amount and feed, and see how your pup responds; it also depends on their activity level.

For Henry, at 65 lbs, he should be getting at least 1.3 lbs per day but when I fed him that amount, he really chunked out and hit 70 lbs really quickly. So, I trimmed his meals back some and now he only eats about a pound per day, divided into two meals. He looks perfect!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast