Sample Meals Please

Thread: Sample Meals Please

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultSample Meals Please

I'd like to know specifically what some of you feed for your dog's raw meals. And where to you purchase your raw food. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sample Meals Please

I think I answered some of this in the previous post.

3 times a week I feed Ernie fish in natural oil.
    Every day I give him yogurt. He is on Metacam so this is to help his stomach.
    Every second day I sprinkle Brewers yeast on his food.
    I can't tell you where to source the food. I buy mine from the supermarket, markets, or where ever it is cheap.

I feed chicken, fish and all meats and spare parts except pork. I am sorry I can't give you the exact amounts.About a cup and a half. Ernie is on a diet and about 60lbs.. I put carrots, and other vegies through my juicer and mix this with the meat. Sometimes I cook lots of things up together. When we cook we give Ernie the vege juice instead of throwing it away. he loves it.

For convenience I often cook his food. Make cookies or pancakes. It seems to last longer and I can take it out. I will get you some receipes.
    Here is one I first used for Kassa, then for Ernie I add lots of veges. It is a bit too high in protein for him. I also don't use salt.

Homemade Canine Cancer Food

A balanced homemade formula for dogs with cancer. The following recipe will make three days worth of food for a 25-30 pound dog.

Ingredients Amount:

Lean ground beef, fat drained 454 grams (1 pound)
    Rice, cooked 227 grams (1 1/3 cups)
    Liver, beef 138 grams (1/3 pound)
    Vegetable oil 63 grams (4 ? Tbs)
    Fish oil 9 grams (9 1000-mg fish oil capsules)*
    Directions: Cook the rice with salt substitute added to the water. Cook the ground beef and drain the fat. Cook the liver and dice or finely chop into small pieces.. Mix the vegetable oil, fish oil (break open capsules) and supplements with the rice and then add the cooked ground beef and liver. Mix well, cover and refrigerate. Feed approximately one-third of this mixture each day to a 25-30 pound dog. Palatability will be increased if the daily portion is heated to
    approximately body temperature (Caution: when using microwave, avoid "hot spots," which can burn the mouth).

Nutrient Profile (% dry matter basis):
    Protein 35.3
    Fat 41.6
    Carbohydrate 17.8
    Energy 1,989 kcal/kg as fed

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Bravo! Blends (Beef or Lamb... sometimes Elk) for half Ender's meals. I base the amount off his current weight and his "still growing though not that much" status. Bravorawdiet.com has an excellent calculator and I've found the amounts they give me to be spot on for Ender. Currently this means he gets just over a lb per meal.

Chicken quarters, turkey necks, and chicken organs account for the other half of Ender's meals. Again, we buy whatever is on sale whenever it's on sale (most recently we cleared the meat section of all it's .69 per pound chicken quarters hahahaha) and feed the same amount as with the blends.

Every mean he gets a G/C tablet.

Occasionally we add things like cottage cheese (low fat), an egg (raw), or some fish (canned jack mackeral). I plan on getting some fish oil or tablets (I'm not sure yet)

Other than that, I'm looking forward to becoming more adventurous with his meals and taking some things of the RMB list I posted earlier.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Last nights dinner was a turkey neck, 3 chicken wings, beef lung and a lamb liver. Tonight they have a rack of ribs and some chicken legs. Tomorrow I am thinking turkey legs -- those things are HUGE! I'll probably toss some raw eggs in too. Over the weekend they will be getting whole raw rabbit I am ordering in from the butcher.

Also upcoming on the menu....whole chicken, pork roast, lamb shanks, lamb legs, chicken gizzards, various organ and muscle meats and maybe some organic veggie "mush".

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I forgot to say that I get my supplies from two local butchers and a couple of farm shops. I don't usually buy anything from the supermarkets.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

What I buy at the grocery are the chicken backs from Gerber. I alternate protein sources so a few days he'll get chicken, then beef, goat, fish etc. In the evening I give him his vegie mixture with tripe. His holistic vet added a few suppliments to his diet--vitamin C, sardine oil. I also give a good yogurt--Stoneyfield, Brown Cow everyday with some biphadolpholis (sorry about the spelling). With Caleb he also needs a digestive enzyme.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

We feed Larry raw about 4-5 times a week. His typical raw meal is veggie mix, ground venison burger, and 1-2 venison ribs.

In his veggie mix, we go with whatever we have in the fridge. Normally it has collard greens, green beans, celery, zuchini (sp?), carrots, and whatever other random fruits/vegetables we have. We blend this all up in the food processor and put it in individual Zip-loc bags and freeze them. We thaw them out in the morning and feed it that night.

We mix the veggie blend with the ground venison burger. We don't have an exact measure that we use, but I'd say that it would probably be a little over a cup. After he eats his veggie/vension blend, we take him outside and feed him 1-2 venison ribs, depending on the size.

We did feed him chicken leg quarters before switching over to venison, but he always had loose stools after eating raw chicken, so we can't feed them anymore. When we were feeding the chicken, though, we simply gave him the veggie mix (w/o the venison burger) and then fed him a whole leg quarter.

Since chicken doesn't work for him, I don't know what we'll do once hunting season is over. :

lunamus is offline Senior Member

Oooh it really HAS been a long time since I was here last.. A raw forum! Yay!!!

Luna's been rawfed since september 2. last year..

Today she had some pork for rmb and porkliver (today's offal day), veggiemix and salmon oil.
    Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years