not a lab...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not a lab...

Defaultnot a lab...

but do any of you feed raw to your cats?

i have a three year old kitty that has been diagnosed with Irritable bowel disease and has cost me 1500+ in vet bills since sept. she's currently on prescription food (eukanuba low residue)- but i'm going to talk to the vet tonight about feed her raw.

any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: not a lab...

I found this excellent website for you:

http://www.rawfedcats.org/

Personally I don't feed raw to my cats. My oldest cat is too set in his way for raw my other male is too lazy. My female cat will happily wolf down a freshly killed mouse/bird/rat but again, isn't interested in raw. They do get plenty of cooked meaty scraps when available but that is about as far as their "real" diet goes. I have no real reason to persist in raw for my cats anyway because they are healthy...my youngest two have never been to the vet in their 5 years of life.

I think if you have a very willing cat raw is worth a shot. If you have a picky cat you may be fighting a losing battle. I know how fussy cats can be. :-\

I don't have a cat, but according to other forums I've read...people tend to have a tough time getting their cats to eat raw, but I don't know why.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Have you looked into supplements? I know when Sami was having issues (specifically colitis), I used L-Glutamine, as well as Montmorillite Clay, and Probiotics. All of those things are also recommended for dogs w/ IBS and IBD. Of course, Sami's not a cat :P, so I can't say whether those are things you should use w/ a cat. I used them at the recommendation of a holistic vet. And they worked wonders for her. L-Glutamine in particular works to restore the cells of the intestines, so I would start my search there. I'm happy to say that Sami is no longer on any medications and has not had a flare-up in a very long time. I hope that you can find something that works, too!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Some people who can't get their cats to eat raw have tried the California Natural cat foods. Very simplistic in both the dry and the canned.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    Some people who can't get their cats to eat raw have tried the California Natural cat foods. Very simplistic in both the dry and the canned.
    Yup, and this was our "last resort" food -- if this didn't work she was going to have to go on a prescription diet. It is a very simple food and my regular vet (not holistic) was amazed that it worked. She'd never heard of the food.

Mybabymambo Guest

One of my kitties loves raw. him and mambo will enjoy soem chicken together. The other two want nothing to do with it.

Thanks!

I talked to the vet, and she seemed to think it was a good idea. Anything has to be better than the pills/prescription diet/still sick fiasco.

I'm definitely going to look into this more

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Good luck.

What is your cat like in regards to feeding? I'll be interested to know how she gets on if you give raw a try.

Admittedly, my cats are canned food addicts. :

actually, we experimented a little today. she loves treats and tries to steal everything i eat, so i gave her some tuna and some chicken parts. she loved it! the vet told me to leave the dry food out in the beginning, so i did- but she didn't touch the dry food all day!

i'm so excited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast