How Long Have You Been Feeding Raw?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long Have You Been Feeding Raw?

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow Long Have You Been Feeding Raw?

Since this is a fairly new section, just for points of reference--how long have you all been feeding raw? Caleb is my first dog I have had on the raw diet. Did some with my boy I lost two years ago when I switched Caleb over but I think he was too old to give up that home cooked food! So, it has been 3 1/2 years.

Also, what prompted you to begin feeding raw? Caleb had some health issues--diagnosed with Pano and a lady I trained with gave me Billinghurst's book to read. Changed my life! Also had been dealing with a chronic ear infection and had figured out that Caleb was allergic to wheat, corn, peanut butter, preservatives and artifical colorings. By the time I got him to a holistic vet in the area it was just a matter of building his immune system back up. Now he is doing great!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How Long Have You Been Feeding Raw?

Almost 4 years, although I still feed kibble for convenience. ;D

It started out when we first got Murph. He was a raw fed pup. Well, I say "raw", but he also had milk meals with either oats or wheat so it was not strictly raw. His breeder is a big advocate of raw feeding. He was fed meat meals (mince, tripe, chicken etc.) with the milk meals until he was almost a year old under his breeders guidelines. After that we switched him to dry Nutro like our other two dogs. He was ok on Nutro for quite some time but gradually he began to develop problems -- itchy feet, bad ears and nasty raw skin. He even had bald patches on his back. We switched him to ProPlan. His symptoms cleared up but he still wasn't quite himself. THEN we decided to put him (and my other dogs) on a holistic food -- single protein source, good simple ingredients and bingo, my healthy boy was back! so about 2 years ago I reintroduced raw back into the dogs diet and I have been really pleased with the results.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Just a few months. We're not completely raw either. I'm now using raw and dehydrated. But I do have to confess that the whole raw thing really yucks me out ...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

A few months.

Ender, ever since we got him, has always had issues with diarhea. We tried bland diets, different kibble, medications (giardia tests came back positive) and nothing ever worked for more than a day. Finally I browsed another lab forum that has a RAW natural diets section and read someone's story about having similar issues and RAW being the fix.

I discussed with Eric that night whether he'd be willing to give it a try... if so I'd do more research before we actually began. The other forum was a great source of information and helpful guidance (I hope this forum turns out to be as well). I choose to begin with prepackaged as doing the RAW by myself seemed daunting at first. Found a supplier that was only 20 min away from our condo. (She is involved in Rottie rescue and was very honest and helpful when choosing what I should order... encouraging me to go through other cheaper sources for some of the things I wanted).

Within about 24 hrs... literally... Ender's poop firmed up and he had an extra bounce in his step. Compared to how he is now, I realized that before we did the RAW thing he was slightly subdued (and with a tummy ache all the time I would be too!). His ears are perfect now, we never have to clean them (though they still get checked regularly), before they would need to be cleaned about twice a week.

His teeth are perfect. He got some muscle mass back (he was starting to look emaciated).

He may be spoiled (as most of my friends and family would put it) but he's happy and healthy, and that's all I can really ask for.

Feeding him RAW has encouraged Eric and I to eat healtheir for ourselves. We bought a freezer and are now buying more meat and making home cooked meals more often.
    ~Lindsay

I fed pure raw for about 8 or 9 months and have fed a raw/kibble mix (obviously not in the same meal) for about the past 2 years.

I didn't really have a reason to try it, to be honest it looked fun. I really like the added benefit of no plaque on his teeth (most of the dogs we had growing up had it by age 3 or 4) and they're that way with no brushing on my part.

We have Larry on a partially raw diet. We started about a month ago because he developed an allergy to the kibble (ProPlan S&S) we had him on.

He now gets a raw meal for 4 - 5 dinners per week, with kibble (Nature's Variety Prairie Lamb) for breakfast every day and the dinners when we don't feed raw. His poops have firmed up and his coat is looking wonderful.

Also, he has been much calmer since we started feeding raw. We have enjoyed it so far, and plan to continue.

Henry has been on raw for about 5 months or so? now. I'm feeding pre-packaged raw, for convenience and to get comfortable with the whole raw thing... then I'm planning on feeding real raw!

He LOVES it!! He is doing very well on it. His gungy yeasty ears, which plagued him since he was a pup are a thing of the past and his itchies are gone!! Hoorah!

I've been feeding Riley the raw diet for over 4 years now. He also had pano as well as chronic ear infections....I was on the hunt for the perfect food for him and stumbled across a few people that fed raw...they referred me to some books and websites. I researched it for a couple months and then dove right in and never looked back.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dogtaur
    I've been feeding Riley the raw diet for over 4 years now. He also had pano as well as chronic ear infections....I was on the hunt for the perfect food for him and stumbled across a few people that fed raw...they referred me to some books and websites. I researched it for a couple months and then dove right in and never looked back.
    Boy does that all sound familar!!!!!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I started feeding Ernie raw about 10 months ago when he had terrible itchys. Dry is so much more convenient. I was finding it hard when I forgot to get raw food, was out or away. Tried dry and the itchys came back within 2 days. I also worried Erns wasn't getting enough vitamins.

Then I read one of Nicks brilliant posts about dogs being allergic/sensitive to wheat. Light bulb went on in my head. Now why hadn't I tried this. I found some N.Z. made dry food with no wheat, and natural preservatives. Three months laters he hasn't had an itch. I also used to give him toasted bread snacks.

I feed mostly raw, and use dry when I am lazy, or out.

When Kassa was diagnosed with cancer I took her off all dry food and preservatives. Right up until the day she died she looked healthier than any other dog the vet saw. People would stop me in the street and say what a beautiful healthy dog.

the border on this pic is the N.Z. Xmas tree. Pohutakawa.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast