All right......what's the scoop?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All right......what's the scoop?

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultAll right......what's the scoop?

A couple of years ago, I seriously considered switching the boys over to a natural (raw) diet. The foremost reason being Riley's continuous allergy issues. Secondly, I really want to do what's right for my dogs.

I went as far as reading a book written by Dr. Pitcairn, but opted for a pre-mix as I was afraid that I would screw up the percentages of rmbs/to offal/to enzymes etc and etc. So I opted for a pre-mix and chose Honest Kitchen dehydrated food. Murphy (who, believe it or not is NOT a chow-hound) detested it. I gave it a couple of months and gave up on the whole idea.

Since my first raw experience, I see that there are a whole lot more pre-made options on the market. One, in particular, I have been eyeing is Bravo.

Are these products (and their results) consistent with feeding "true" raw, ie, rmbs etc?

Also, for those who do feed rmbs....how in the heck do you keep the floor clean?? Believe me, I am no neat freak. BUT, I shudder to think of the raw chicken juice (and worse!) that could possibly penetrate the floor. :-X

Many thanks! I am so glad that this section of JL has been added. It gives me more reading material.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: All right......what's the scoop?

We use Bravo! Blends and love it. I consider it true raw.

I have read that Nature's Variety isn't the best prepackaged and still has a lot of fillers in it.

Ender happens to be pretty good about keeping his turkey necks and chicken parts in his bowl believe it or not. I know a lot of people feed outside on a deck, or inside the crate, or some put down a tarp. Like I said, Ender is pretty neat when eating so I just clean his bowl and often wipe around that area.
    ~Lindsay

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    We use Bravo! Blends and love it. I consider it true raw.
    I have read that Nature's Variety isn't the best prepackaged and still has a lot of fillers in it.
    I wish I could find Bravo or some of the others like Steve's. I did some research some time ago and ther aren't any distributers near me. Actually I can't find any brand w/ in decent driving distance other than NV. That said, I'll disagree w/ Lindsay about the fillers. Their raw diet is 95% meat/organs/bones and 5% fruits/veggies.

I'm certainly no expert in raw, but I think what you'll find lacking in the prepackaged diets are the benefits of RMBs. These are useful in keeping their teeth clean, and probably have some physical/psychological benefits as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Hmmm... I wonder where I got that. Maybe I misread something. I'm sure ThatsMyGirl is right.

I found my Bravo supplier by using a Yahoo RAW feeding group for Wisconsin. I would start with searching the Yahoo groups if I were you.
    ~Lindsay

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think pre packaged raw is an excellent way to start but they are not ideal for the long term. They are expensive and don't quite match the "real" stuff. "Real" raw is easier to get into then you think. It sounds daunting but you soon get the hang of it it becomes second nature. Don't over focus on percentages or getting the balance right -- the balance is never going to be as 'complete' as dry kibble but as long as you have the foundations in place your dogs won't be lacking in anything. Dog food companies tell us that we must feed a balanced diet EVERY day but I say take a look at our own diets...do you eat a balanced diet every day? nope, probably not, but it all balances out of the course of the week.

Also, for those who do feed rmbs....how in the heck do you keep the floor clean?? Believe me, I am no neat freak. BUT, I shudder to think of the raw chicken juice (and worse!) that could possibly penetrate the floor.
    We always feed outside. Problem solved.

I've been feeding Henery pre-packaged raw since June (?), with the hopes that it will get me comfortable enough with raw to go "full-out-real-raw"! I too stress about percentages, and supplements and what if I get it wrong and end up hurting him in the long run, when I've been trying to do right by him by feeding raw!

Right now he's eating Mountain Dog Food (from Alberta): http://www.mountaindogfood.com/ but I'm switching him to Healthy Paws (from Ontario): http://www.healthy-paws.ca/ just because we've moved and I can't get Mt Dog Food around here.

Trickster, what would be a typical week's meals for your pups? Once we get into our own place in Feb (we're crashing at our SIL's sister's place right now until our house closes) I think I'm going to go real raw!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Caleb has been on the raw diet for 3 1/2 years now. Actually, I don't worry too much about anything anymore. I do vary what he gets--chicken backs, beef, mutton, etc. The holistic vet I take him to had me put him back on a veggie mixture with tripe. Though I do give the backs, I would not feed just ground meat mixture. They need some bones. Like I said, I give the chicken backs as well as a recreational bone now and then.

Bravo stuff is pretty good. I carry the Bravo tripe at my building. Have considered trying some of their blends for Caleb but I get so much from Hare Today.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

my three sit in front of me and are hand fed..nothing like watching the pure joy on their faces when they know they going to get those chicken legs or backs and when the venison patties come out...watch out..the breeze caused by their tails wagging could take the roof off!

sometimes I do feed them in their bowls but more often than not I just hand their raw meals out to them. that way I know they aren't hoovering the meal and actually chewing it.

I can only feed 2 of 3 raw marrow bones the third has a beef issue so the two go in thier crates and the third gets either a deer leg or goat leg to chew on.

I've been feeding a partial raw for about a yr now and can't believe the results...will be going to full raw when I feel that I've educated myself enough on the subject..right now I'm just not to that po int yet.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tripleyellow

I've been feeding a partial raw for about a yr now and can't believe the results...will be going to full raw when I feel that I've educated myself enough on the subject..right now I'm just not to that po int yet.
    I guess I am really blessed with a good holistic vet and a staff member who is very knowledgable who have gotten me on the correct path with Caleb. I am sooooooooooo pleased with the raw!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I dont' worry much about percentages. I agree with Trickster - it all balances out over time. As for the floor, I sit with Cassie while she eats (don't we all enjoy eating in company? ) and wipe up the floor with water as soon as she's finished. I think I'm gonna try Tripleyellow's method, though...I really enjoy the satisfaction on her face while she's crunching down on them bones!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast