Coat/smell change?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coat/smell change?

DefaultCoat/smell change?

Curious for those of you who have switched to raw. Did you notice any difference in the quality/feel of your lab's coat, and/or in his smell?

Sam eats Kirkland Lamb & Rice and has from Day One, with some Nupro mixed in. He's done well on that. No itchies, no yucky ears etc.

But in the effort to feed him what it seemed logical to me that he would need based on his ancestry, I switched to half raw. Kibble in the morning, raw at night. Turkey necks, chicken necks, chicken leg and thighs, some vegs thrown in. I was surprised at how easy it was to do, and how much he liked it.

However about a week into it, I began to notice a change in his coat (more greasy feeling) and in his smell (more "doggy").

So we're back to just the Kirkland for now. And I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Coat/smell change?

I didn't notice a change in the coat/smell... Ender's ears did clear up and now we never have to clean them. (His ears were never bad but we did have to consistently wipe them out once or twice a week)
    ~Lindsay

I haven't noticed anything like that. Larry gets about 5 raw meals a week.

However, we feed him with mostly venison, since chicken tends to give him poop issues. I don't know if that would make a difference, but someone else might.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't know if feeding half raw and half kibble would be enough to experience a detox but that was my first thought. I do know that some dogs go through a detox when switching from full kibble to full raw and get some of the "symptoms" you describe -- greasy coat, doggy smell, bad ears, gas, etc., things that you want to want the raw diet to remove and not make worse. Often after the detox the symptoms clear up and the dog looks and feels better than ever.

How many meat protein sources did you introduce at once? perhaps you rushed it. Ideally you should start with a single protien source (chicken because it is easily digestable), stick with it for a period of several weeks and build up from there.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I haven't noticed any change ~ in anything ~ one way or the other.

Henry's ears and itchies cleared up almost immediately! He has been plagued with yeasty gungy ears since he was a pup and so it's a joy to not have him scratch them to death, or shake his head so hard it looks like it could fall off. LOL!

As far as coat/smell goes, I haven't noticed anything different in his coat, but he smells less doggy to me...

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I agree with Trickster--probably going through a detox. Caleb's was terrible but we got through it. They need time for the detox, too. If you keep mixing any type of wheat or corn in it (don't know the ingredients of what you are feeding) then the detox won't happen. Plus they need to be off the artifical colors and preservatives, too, for detox.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Maybe I did rush it. I fed chicken, and turkey, and some pork neck bones, all within the space of a couple of weeks. And also some raw eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt. I just jumped right in. Didn't think about maybe doing just one thing at a time, because Sam has never had any digestive "issues" with anything.

I also noticed that the thigh/leg chicken pieces had a lot of fat on them. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Do you all remove excess fat from what you're feeding?

Also I can get deer leg bones from the butcher at this time of year. But they won't cut them into smaller pieces. This is a BIG bone, like probably 18 inches long. In trying to figure how much to give him would a bone like that count as a whole day's worth of food? is that more of a chewing bone, or can he actually eat it? It still has pieces of the meat attached and gristle etc.

Thanks,
    Frances

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I would count the deer leg bones are recreational bones honestly. But maybe post a picture of what you are talking about?
    ~Lindsay

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am

I also noticed that the thigh/leg chicken pieces had a lot of fat on them. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Do you all remove excess fat from what you're feeding?

I do take off the extra fat on the backs, but I have never done it on the thighs/legs. Actually Caleb doesn't really care for the thigh/leg portions so I don't use them much. The fat on the backs are really huge pieces and come off very easy. In the wild, birds don't have that much fat on them, but a fox or wolf who eats a chicken does not remove the fat. I just don't like the huge pieces that are on the backs. I know someone who use to remove all the fat--every little piece and her dogs began to have some problems becuase they do need some fat. Once she stopped, they were fine! (had a lot of problems having a bm.)
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast