These days I'm feeding the Nature's Variety raw lamb patties as well as Honest Kitchen dehydrated. I've left kibble behind entirely The only real bones I have given Sami have been more as snacks or additions, and not meals. So far she's only had chicken and turkey necks. She does scare me with these because it's usually a couple of crunches and down the hatch. I'm curious if there is another cut of meat / chicken that would be better suited to making her really chew.
I wouldn't worry about her lack of chewing. Dogs rarely have problems digesting raw meat and those teeth are not designed to chew meticulously -- they are more designed for ripping and shedding. My dogs do exactly the same; chew, chew, swallow.
If you want to give her a challenge, how about trying a small rack of pork ribs? they usually take longer than chicken/turkey necks to work through.
We started Ender out on half a cornish hen and now he's getting chicken quarters. Like Trickster said, it's crunch crunch and down it goes.
I keep meaning to get him more cuts of meat (beef... lamb... pork... whatever) but I'm a teeny bit scared I won't get the right bone/muscle ratio and his diet will be deficient so for now he gets chickens/hens for his RMBs and beef/lamb/elk prepackaged from Bravo!
Lamb shanks are another reasonably tough bone.I would not worry about this. You can research ratios until your heart is content but raw is never going to be as balanced as "complete" kibble. If you think about our diet, we probably don't eat a fully balanced meal over the course of the day but in a week it all balances out. As long as you have the foundations of a so called balanced diet (reasonable ratios of RMB's, muscle and organ meat) I can't imagine you will have any dietry deficiency problems.I'm a teeny bit scared I won't get the right bone/muscle ratio and his diet will be deficient
Also, I think if Ender has been on a staple of chicken/hens for quite some time his system would have adjusted to the change. Adding new meat sources for variety now shouldn't hurt. Turkey/pork/lamb/etc. is usually readily available at this time of year...I got some bargin deals from my local butcher who is preparing for his Christmas stock.
Sorry if this wasn't clear...
Ender gets chicken/cornish hens about 65% of the time, the other 35% is prepackaged Bravo! blends of beef, lamb and occasionally elk.
I agree with Trickster. I don't worry too badly about the ratio because I feel like you can over-analyze it. We may sure to cover the big bases and kind of let it go from there.
That said, we also still feed kibble meals, so we also rely on that to cover any issues we've missed in the raw food.
Yep, as has all ready been said, it is the over-all diet not the day-to-day. I give chicken backs and it is the same--crunch, crunch, swallow. I'll get a meaty beef bone (soup bone) and let him chew it for a while. Think about it, dogs in the wild don't get a "balanced" diet every day. They eat what they can catch! Also like to get some nice meaty neck bones, too.
UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN
I really like the chicken backs because they usually have organ meat attached (almost always at least the kidneys) and whole fryers since it's naturally a complete whole prey model. As for chewing, there's really not much that will encourage Jes to chew. A few chomps and then swallow. Sounds like per the previous posts, that's pretty normal.
Okay, so do you just go to the grocery store, buy a raw chicken, and feed it to the dogs? It rather grosses me out, but I'm willing to try. Worried about the bone issue. Sorry, goes way back to when I was a little kid and our collie got a ham bone stuck in his back teeth. They had to sedate him and cut it out.
Where do you buy chicken backs?
I guess I need to go to the grocery store and look at this stuff. Also, do you freeze it and feed it frozen, or thaw it out first?
Butcher is the best place... but we do purchase packs of chicken quarters (so convienent... don't even need to chop it apart) when they are 69 cents per pound. Some people will take something large and take it away when they thing their dog has had enough, and give it to them for the next meal... repeat until it is finished. (of course refriderating it ahead of time)Originally Posted by raian
With Ender, his first few RMB meals of chicken quarters were partially frozen so he learned to chew it up... now he gets them pretty thawed. We've had no problems though either way.