feeding raw

Thread: feeding raw

2bigdogs is offline Junior Member

Defaultfeeding raw

I have one yellow Lab - 7 years old, 80#, and a Shepherd/Akita mix - 4 years old, 110#. I have them on a rotation diet of high-quality, limited ingredient, grain-free kibble. I rotate every 3 or 4 months. I have recently added Vital Essentials Raw Beef Chubs and want to make sure what I am doing is okay. The kibble costs me approximately $150 per month and I can't afford much more than that, so I use the raw more as a treat once a day rather than a meal. My dogs have always been fed 3 times per day - 6:30 a.m., 4 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. I still feed them their kibble at the same times but I give them approximately 1/4 pound of raw beef chub at 1 in the afternoon. Now I am concerned because I'm reading that it is recommended to wait 8-12 hours after feeding kibble. I can't afford a strictly raw diet and wonder if I should just stick to the kibble and not give them the raw at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

beth101509 is offline Member

Just curious: Why are you feeding your adult dogs 4 times a day? I know you say 3 but 1/4 raw at 1pm daily is technically 4 times a day. Also, how much kibble do you feed at each meal? Most people switch to feeding twice a day after a puppy is 6 months, why did you decide not to do that?

2bigdogs is offline Junior Member

I misspoke in my first post. I switched to twice a day, for a couple of months, when my Lab was young. She seemed to be hungry between meals. She would go to her empty bowl and sniff and lick, so I went back to feeding her 3 times a day. The Shepherd mix has always been on 3 times per day. I still give the same total amount of kibble it's just 3 times instead of twice. Both my dogs get 3 cups of food per day plus the beef chub I just started giving them. They are lean, active and healthy. I will do some research as to why most people switch to twice a day and if it appears that it is healthier then I will give some thought to changing their routine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

You should feed 2x a day. My guys always check their bowls out too, doesn't mean they are hungry.

beth101509 is offline Member

My lab would eat and eat and eat if I let him. I only feed him twice a day and he is 20 weeks old. Labs just love food. They think they are starving but I assure you they are not.