Applied Kinesiology Allergy Testing?

Thread: Applied Kinesiology Allergy Testing?

danielledel is offline Junior Member

QuestionApplied Kinesiology Allergy Testing?

My pure bread yellow lab has a severe allergy, most likely to protein. His symptoms start gastointestinally with vomiting diareah, then bloody diarreah and vomit, avoids foodnand water and then fianlly he will swell in his face and get whelts/hives on his skin. I have posted in health with info and asking advice.

I am curious if anyone has used applied kinesiology to diagnose food allergies. How accurate are these tests? I'd love yo hear other peoples expiriences and outcomes. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Never had a dog with severe allergies before. My 9 week old lab pup got itchy, but that was due to moving into a home with AC. We started feeding a pinch of flax seeds, as we have found this is great for our bunnies as well to help with itchies. So far, knock on wood, scratching only a bit.

Everything I've researched states that allergy testing is expensive but it will give you a clue. Even human allergy tests is just basically trying to pinpoint something and work from there. The food the vet recommended not working? Or do you want to know what protein is really setting your pup off? Also wonder if short term solutions could help with the vet recommended food. Antihistamines and corticosteroids have been listed as short term solutions.

Wish I could be of more help. Hopefully someone who's been down this road with their labs, can help.

KAZ

mauricio is offline Senior Member

I've had a couple of allergic dogs. one, we had to give shots to, and it really didnt help. but that was before i knew about foods and quality.

jean dodd, is well known for a specific allergic screening. I'm not sure of the cost but google and i bet you can find out.
    or else, trial and error.
    very often grains can be the culprit. i'd try a high quality grain free food, and see if one protein (check the ingredients because sometimes chicken fat, in a non chicken protein, can be the culprit).
    as i said in another post , i have a dog with some issues, and switch proteins every month which keeps her allergies in check.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have been advised to give him high doses of benedryl it seems his stomach is upset, as thats where the reaction starts. The food seems fine, but so did the last foods until BAM hes like dying. For that reason Im not comforable with trial and error. Its costly and potentially fatal very qui kly.
    Ive heard mixed reviews on allergy tests as well... this kinesology test is quite affordable(exam fee+25 to 45) and completly non invasive . Too good to be true?? But I am a believer in holistic medicine...

Mauricio have you had any allergy tests done or strickly trial snd error? What are the the reactions like?

mauricio is offline Senior Member

no allergy tests done on vangie, but on a former dog.

vangie's condition is related to the high eosinophil count and it seems that she becomes allergic or reactive if given a single protein for more than a month. almost like she builds it up and then the barfing starts. if i switch to a novel protein, gf, she then is ok, for another month. i've been keeping it at bay with the switching.

my former dog, bear, had such bad skin issues, that he not only lost hair in spots (the least of it) but he turned green. yes, green. weekly medicated baths, shots, and nothing seemed to help him. but as i said, neither the derm vet or my vet asked what i was feeding and i was feeding supermarket crap loaded with corn. not saying it was strictly the corn as the testing showed he was allergic to just about every grass and pollen around.
    it was so sad to see, him , covered in green, just hours after the bath. he also suffered from pretty constant horrid ear infections which looking back i am sure were triggered by his horrid allergies.
    they were both adopted from a shelter with little knowledge other than half black lab and half retriever.

vangies' reactions are extreme vomiting. even after fasting, over boiled basmati rice is given by the tablespoon, when trying to get her onto another food. knock wood, we've been ok with the way i was doing the switches.

Crazy Monkey is offline Junior Member

My dog has many allergies. We did testing and beyond the environmental pollens and molds she is allergic to rice, potato, lamb, turkey, duck, rabbit, soy, peas, and some other items.
    Your situation is different, but in all my dietary research to find a food she was not allergic to an option that was given to me was food that they hydrolyzed the protein. This is prescription only from your vet. It breaks the protein molecule down so small that the dogs immune system does not react to it.
    This greatly decreases any reaction that your dog may have from the protein in the food. Hills, Royal Canine, and Purina make hydrolyzed protein foods. Maybe worth looking into.

Good luck!!

dogfur is offline Member

Search here as I think someone had been to Jean Dodds.

There is a new drug out for itchy dogs, but not sure what the name is. Suppose to be the wonder drug.
    An elimination diet may help. Also if you are feeding a food do not feed anything else.