8 month old lab choosing her food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 month old lab choosing her food

fabian87 is offline Junior Member

Default8 month old lab choosing her food

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.

My lab has always been eating everything edible that we gave her since 2 months old, and I started giving her Earthborn Hollistic Puppy Vantage while she is still 3 -5 months old, then switching to Blackwood Puppy Lamb and Rice due to supply issues of the Earthborn Hollistic, and now she is having Blackwood Catfish for puppy.

Her behaviour has always been like this, very enthusiastic in finishing her kibbles/dry food when we just started switching the brand/taste, but then started to go less eager to eat her kibbles and until now have to persuade and persuade her to eat her food but then she only finishes half of it most of the time. But at the same time, if we gave her boiled chicken, she will finish a full bowl in less than a minute. And for information, I've been giving her boiled chicken for over 6 months, normally mixing it with her dry food. But now she will just pick the chicken even if we mix it with the dry food, and once she ate all the chicken, she will just leave the kibbles there. I've also tried giving her kibbles first, then only when she finished her kibbles then only I gave her the chicken, but it is just too time consuming to persuade her to eat her kibbles.

So this leads me to thinking that maybe the kibbles just doesn't taste good, or she is choosing her food. But is there any healthy ways that i can mix into her kibbles to make it more appetizing? I have tried chicken which she likes a lot, but she just pick the chicken to eat and ignore the kibbles in the bowl.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

You are creating a picky eater by changing constantly, imo. My very first pup was this way, and my vet gave me some sage advice. He told me to be thankful I had a lab that "ate to live vs lived to eat" and told me to count my lucky stars. It was hard because she was thin, but she lived over 13 yrs, so no complaints here. It wasn't until I bred her at ~3 and kept a pup that she learned the food was only going to be there when I fed her in the morning, and again at night. No leaving food out, no dressing it up. Eat now or go hungry. lol, it worked! Now I wish I had a few of those "eat to live" genes left.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Oh, ground dried alfalfa leaves do work as an appetite enhancer. Also a very good source of B vitamins. I coat my puppy food w/ it here as a matter of practice but then I have my own hay field so can pick/dry/grind my own too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

I think your lab knows what she is doing. She showed disinterest in her food and you immediately gave her something more tasty...now she only eats the chicken, that's because that's the best bit! Also She probably thinks that if she continues she will continue to get anything better than kibble, I don't know what advice to give, but my lab did this when she was a about 9 months also and I thought she had an upset tummy so i tried with bland and when i noticed that she was just "at it" i went straight back to her food, i felt awful at first but i knew she was only wanting things like chicken beef( which she will get as a high reward treat for training), initially she would eat maybe 5 bites, then after a few days of sticking to my guns she has been fine ever since. it was a case of showing her that i wasn't going to bend, however I doubt that would work for you as you have been giving her chicken fr a while. so I hope someone else posts with some advice. you could maybe try just giving kibble and see how she responds.

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

A dog will not starve itself. Give her kibble only, if she turns up her nose take it away. Force yourself to do this for a few days.
    I had the same problem; its tough when they look hungry but if you stick to your guns she will see the light. Use the chicken for a "treat". on an occasional basis.

thanks for all the replies and advices here.

I guess I will just ban the chicken for her at this moment, and just try to feed her kibbles, and take away the kibbles if she refuse to eat after 10-15 mins. See if there's any improvement in the next 2-3 days.

Will keep u guys posted!

Oh yes, just in case if she is a very stubborn dog, will there be any heath complications if let say she just refuses to eat for 2-3 days? Is there any time frame limit before I stop this practice?

As everyone else has already mentioned; she is relying on the chicken now instead of the kibble which of course will taste much better to her. The best thing for you to try is to stop feeding the chicken in with her kibble and only give her kibble each meal, I wouldn't even give the chicken as a treat until she learns to eat her kibble. If she still won't give in with the chicken removed and it's been a week, I would seriously use canned dog food for example that you can thoroughly mix if she is having a tough time accepting plain kibble. I had to do this with my German Shepherd but now he'll take the kibble even when it's plain at times. Getting your pup tired out just before you go to feed them can help and will be more willing to eat what you give them.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Hi.. just an update..

Day 1: She went without eating her kibbles at all.

Day 2: Morning she just ate half of her kibbles. I gave her one cup only, and she ate half. Evening: Initially she only finish half of her kibbles (half cup) but after some persuasion she finished the rest.

Day 3: Morning: She went without eating her kibbles at all.

So far this is her progress. While I think she is making small improvements with a small set back this morning (day 3).

now my question is, what if she only eats half a cup per meal instead of lets say one cup that I've placed in her bowl, where do I go from here? Do I have to wait until she finished the full portion every time then only my "training" can be considered as successful?

IMO, she'll eat what she needs. Unless there is something wrong w/ her food, I'd not give in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast