Feeding a puppy a raw diet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding a puppy a raw diet

Olive's mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFeeding a puppy a raw diet

My other dogs are on a raw diet and I was going to start my 9 week old puppy on a raw diet. I had seen it mentioned a few times on this forum that the calcium content is an issue and puppies should not be on a raw diet. I had never heard that before and was curious to learn why people would not feed their puppies a raw diet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Discclaimer - I don't feed raw so my info is learned not experienced. I'm pretty sure that someone on this board starts her puppies with a raw diet. She may be able to provide more detail.

If you feed too much calcium you can have excessive long bone growth which can lead to joint issues. That said - wolf cubs don't have access to kibble and they eat raw diets - so you should be able to find guidance on how to properly feed a puppy raw.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

banshee is offline Senior Member

I have (knock wood) raised two healthy adult dogs on kibble. But honestly, I never heard much about the raw diet til only recently. It makes sense to feed dogs the way wolves would eat. I never thought about that before. The breeders never said anything about it. And between the vet and the breeder I assumed I was doing the correct thing.
    I only just saw a section devoted to raw food in the store where we buy our kibble. Has there been a renewed interest in raw food lately?
    With kibble, refrigeration is not required and there seems to be less risk of spoilage. Aren't there parasites in some raw food, or do they just affect humans?
    At any rate my dog is very healthy at midlife, though I would change if my vet recommended it. Coo is due for a shot in September. I'll ask the vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have spoken with many people who have raised puppies on raw but they Are dedicated to feeding raw I was reading through some of the posts on this site and I noticed a few people thought feeding a puppy should not be done. I am just trying to get as much info as I can i have never raised a puppy on raw only my adult dogs. I saw such a huge positive difference when I started feeding raw I really wanted to start feeding my puppy raw right away but wanted to make sure I really researched it first. I was told that puppies who are fed raw grow At a slower rate so this was better for bone development.
    Last edited by Olive's mom; 07-26-2013 at 12:06 PM.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I think the big difference is that you won't be giving the puppies alot of bone. Bone is the calcium. Just like you shouldn't feed a bitch in whelp alot of bone in their raw diet. Meat is fine. Too much bone is not.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    I think the big difference is that you won't be giving the puppies alot of bone. Bone is the calcium. Just like you shouldn't feed a bitch in whelp alot of bone in their raw diet. Meat is fine. Too much bone is not.
    So the standard 10 percent should be less? I hate the idea of feeding kibble since my Dog's have done so well on raw but
    I also have never raised a big dog so I do not want to make any mistakes.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

There is a lot of info about the potential dangers of too much Ca in a puppy's diet (esp a larger boned, faster growing breed like Labs). It may be done successfully if someone really does their homework I suppose, but I have seen far too high of incidences of elbow dysplasia especially in raw fed labs in recent years.

This is a matter of asking what YOUR BREEDER's LINES do best on, imo. Some of my pups can't seem to eat kibble w/ as little as 1.0 - 1.2% Ca in it as they start to grow unevenly, so I recommend against feeding my pups raw for sure. I"m at the point if someone is that adament about feeding raw, I'll suggest they look elsewhere and have went so far as to say my warranty is null and void if fed raw. One of my friend's pups grew just absolutely horribly on raw and ended up w/ Grade 3 elbow dysplasia to boot and the owner was brutal to her, accusing it to be from genetics. The pup was nicely structured at 7-8 wks when I eval'd the litter and the littermates kept locally all developed great, passed OFAs etc. Just this one was a train wreck! Another friend fed her last 2-3 litters raw and had elbow failures in both of the pups she kept. I'd really ask your breeder because I happen to agree w/ another long time breeder's thoughts that maybe we "condition" our lines to thrive on a particular balance of nutrients. It's just not a matter of "this is how wolves eat and they are fine".

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    There is a lot of info about the potential dangers of too much Ca in a puppy's diet (esp a larger boned, faster growing breed like Labs). It may be done successfully if someone really does their homework I suppose, but I have seen far too high of incidences of elbow dysplasia especially in raw fed labs in recent years.

This is a matter of asking what YOUR BREEDER's LINES do best on, imo. Some of my pups can't seem to eat kibble w/ as little as 1.0 - 1.2% Ca in it as they start to grow unevenly, so I recommend against feeding my pups raw for sure. I"m at the point if someone is that adament about feeding raw, I'll suggest they look elsewhere and have went so far as to say my warranty is null and void if fed raw. One of my friend's pups grew just absolutely horribly on raw and ended up w/ Grade 3 elbow dysplasia to boot and the owner was brutal to her, accusing it to be from genetics. The pup was nicely structured at 7-8 wks when I eval'd the litter and the littermates kept locally all developed great, passed OFAs etc. Just this one was a train wreck! Another friend fed her last 2-3 litters raw and had elbow failures in both of the pups she kept. I'd really ask your breeder because I happen to agree w/ another long time breeder's thoughts that maybe we "condition" our lines to thrive on a particular balance of nutrients. It's just not a matter of "this is how wolves eat and they are fine".
    My puppy is a rescue I do not know the breeder fed she is coming from a shelter in North Carolina. She is half great pyrenees. The food she is eating now is not what I would want to continue feeding her. I like Origen but some dogs can't handle the protein level. What about a food like tase of the wild. I was on the fence because the woman who I get my meat from raises her show French mastiffs raw and recommends the people whom buy her puppies to do the same but hey are not labs. If anyone had any kibble suggestions I don't want to do any damage while my puppy is growing I can wait to feed raw.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Taste of the Wild often has very high Ca levels. Sorry, I'd go w/ a mid level kibble at best for the first 10-12 mos and not look back. If the dog is healthy, the environment is healthy, you should have no issues.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

I had done some research and as long as you are not feeding all heavy bone meals like all backs or all necks the 10 percent bone would not be to high of a bone content. I was told kibble is also a concern for high calcium and phosphorus. I think the key is if you go raw you really have to know what they are doing. Many people think it is just throwing random meat and bone pieces at their dog. The 80-10-10 ratio is very important just like finding the kibble with the best calcium phosphorous level is. Well all the research gives me something to do . I always like to hear both opinions.
    Last edited by Olive's mom; 07-27-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast