UTIs

Thread: UTIs

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

QuestionUTIs

When apple was six months she had a small amount of blood in her urine. It ended up being a uti, gave her clavamox and it seemed to go away. Forward about a year later and her urine had a VERY strong smell. I took her back and again gave her antibiotics. Seemed to never work because 5 months ago the smell came back. So instead of taking her back for more medication, i decided to change diets. All my three dogs were switched to raw two months ago. I figured i'd give the uti's time to flush out. I added apple cider vinegar(1tsp) to their diet and also started adding 1/2tsp cranberry powder. It has seemed to slowly loose that very strong scent. It does smell at times, but not nearly as bad as it use to.
    I've also notice for a month now she hasn't been urinating as much 2-3 times a day. (maybe it's because i'm walking them to go potty instead of taking them to the backyard, and she's just not use to that).

She still acts like a pup and doesn't seem like she's in pain or anything of that sort.

Antibiotics is my last resort!! Is there any other holistic approach or way of killing this stuff once and for all ???????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Deanna, you have already likely done all that is needed to prevent future UTI's. Dogs are carnivores and their digestive tracts are not capable of digesting grains. Grain based kibbles will cause a change in the pH of the gut (it creates a high or alkaline pH). Proteins will lower the pH of the gut and increase the acidity and a lower pH will prevent UTIs. When you feed unnatural foods, you get unnatural outcomes. So feeding a diet that is suitable for carnivores not for omnivores should be all you need to do.
    You likely won't need to supplement, the raw should be enough. I'm not a fan of ACV myself and I would stop that definitely. If anything I would give B vitamins but I think you should be fine.
    I would be a bit concerned if she is only peeing two to three times a day. I would try to get her out more if you can, that may be part of the problem.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Fallriver View Post
    I would try to get her out more if you can, that may be part of the problem.
    Hey Dana, Thanks for the info!

I actually take apple out minimum 5 times a day, all she wants to do is run and play with sticks. I'll ussually even stay in one spot for 15 mins and she'll just sit with me and stare at me.

What i'm going to do is keep an eye on her for the next few days as well as take a urine sample to the vet. If theres UTI i will start her up on more natural immunity defenses like shark cartilage. If this doesn't work i will thoroughly get her kidney's checked. Which i pray to God is not that issue.

She doesn't drink much water after i switched her to raw, so maybe thats the issue ??

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

She doesn't need as much water with raw because there is water content in the food, unlike kibble.
    If she has UTI, there is a chinese herb called Cystagen which works very well and would be much healthier for her than antibiotics. I have used it in the past with very good results although I no longer see UTIs.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Thanks Dana! She's actually doing much better! i think i was just freaking out about it.

I am going to order some of that chinese herb to have just incase!

Thanks again!

hey dana, i was googling that herb and it came up with no results. Is there a specific place you order your chinese herbs ?

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you suspect a UTI testing urine PH at home can give you the answer. Crancaps work great to prevent UTIs.

Here is more info on prevention.

http://www.heartypet.com/blog/?p=47