trying to figure out how to feed my dog...

Thread: trying to figure out how to feed my dog...

LindaMayRee is offline Member

Defaulttrying to figure out how to feed my dog...

My dog a 4yo lab who I have only had about 2 months just does not eat dog food very well. He will eventually eat it but no excitement at all about eating it. I have been doing a little research over the last couple days and am considering home cooking his meals. Not comfortable with raw feeding at this time but the home cooking looks doable for me and something I am fairly comfortable with trying. On occasion I have scrambled him eggs or given him boiled chicken and he is much more excited about eating it than kibble. But here is something I am concerned with. Last night I fixed him some lightly cooked chicken livers and this morning his stomach sounds like the 4th of July. He doesn't act sick or act like his stomach is hurting but his stomach is just rolling, gurgling, groaning.... it is loud and sounds awful. I have not fed him anything yet this morning as he just does not sound like he needs to eat anything right now. Is this normal? Any tips on feeding him?
    Linda
    Wife to my superman, mom to my three kiddos-2 daughters and 1 son, and my Lab Huckleberry.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The stomach noise could just be that he is hungry. If he is not acting ill, vomiting or walking around hunched over and looking uncomfortable, I would feed him.

What kibble is he on?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Assuming that he is on a good quality kibble then if he doesn't eat what you put down after 30 minutes then take it up again and give it to him for his next meal ! He'll soon eat when he gets hungry.

I satisfy my own thoughts by adding some tinned meat to their kibble to make it more interesting for them, but I can't see that they would be bothered if I didn't.

Even so , they too are still mad keen on any meat and drool for King and country ! Lightly cooked chicken livers? I'll be over for tea if you let me know where ! lucky pup !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

On second thought he is not his normal playful self. Not really sick but not as active or playful as usual. But I do not think these are hunger noises. This is much more than that... His stomach just sounds like it is boiling in there. you can just feel his belly rumbling and groaning... I am expecting diareah at any time. He eats 4health dog food. And after further research am not really comfortable with it but he is on it until I decide how I want to proceed in feeding him.
    Thanks
    Linda
    Wife to my superman, mom to my three kiddos-2 daughters and 1 son, and my Lab Huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Assuming that he is on a good quality kibble then if he doesn't eat what you put down after 30 minutes then take it up again and give it to him for his next meal ! He'll soon eat when he gets hungry.

I satisfy my own thoughts by adding some tinned meat to their kibble to make it more interesting for them, but I can't see that they would be bothered if I didn't.

Even so , they too are still mad keen on any meat and drool for King and country ! Lightly cooked chicken livers? I'll be over for tea if you let me know where ! lucky pup !
    England is a long way from Missouri but head on over and I will get the liver ready.
    Linda

Just dawned on me he went to the vet yesterday and got some vaccinations.. Could that cause no playfulness and upset stomach? I just got him some kibble but he didn't even get up to sniff it or anything.
    Linda

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd just fast him today and maybe try him on rice and boiled ground beef or chicken tomorrow. Yes, he could feel punky from the vax. If that continues, I would contact the vet.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

sally's mom is offline Junior Member

This is an issue that is very common. Let's assume that your dog does not have allergies to corn, wheat, etc although many Labradors do have these allergies and they can affect skin and digestion. We have kept our 8 y/o Lab on Blue Buffalo weight control kibble for the past 6 years. She also gets a small amount (1/4 cup) of chicken breast that I bake for her; very spoiled! Liver of most types can be an odd food. don't forget that the liver is a filter in the body. All toxins are processed through the liver so he may just have a reaction to the liver. Keep his diet simple as you would for yourself. I like the idea of boiled rice and chicken for a few days. Then, really check the labels of the kibble. Look for simple, recognizable ingredients and the same with treats. A good rule of thumb...if you can't pronounce it or recognize it then give it the pass.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Just a note on the liver. Probably you are fine but you do know liver is high in Vit. A and too much Vit. A is toxic? Ditto Vit. E and all the fat soluble vitamins. Just something to be aware of, especially if you are home cooking or giving as treats. Somewhere I was able to find a guideline on how much Vit. A is likely to be too much and if I can dig it up I'll post it. I no longer use liver for training treats myself.

I think most dogs would get more excited at seeing food specially prepared than at their kibble. Have your ever tried to fake him out by pretending to mix up plain old kibble on your counter top, with lots of yum, yum sounds as you do, and then offering the kibble?

Yep, I agree, the vacs may be putting him off. Did he get them all at once? We separate at least rabies from the others. I've never had a reaction from my dog at all, separated or not, but I sure have with the cats. Very lethargic and reduced appetite for several days; very scary since not eating can prompt fatty liver disease in cats.