Food...

Thread: Food...

Helen&Belle is offline Junior Member

DefaultFood...

Hi everyone,
    I have read most of the threads about dog food. But i just want a little bit of advice for my case.
    I am getting my lab on the 27th of this month!!! YAY
    My breeder is feeding her super coat at the moment i have been reading and spending so much time reading about food that its really starting to stress me out.
    I ended up at Canidae grain free. Just wondering if this is suitable for puppies or should i continue with super coat until she is older then change her onto Canidae or another brand???
    Another question I'm also looking for a good dog treat to start training her on... any suggestions???

thank you
    Helen

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

often folks keep the pup on what the breeder was feeding, at least for a while.

jparker is offline Junior Member

I agree with Bett, switching foods can be kind of painful as you have to do it ever so gradually or face runny stools. During the transition it is hard to tell if itches, runny stools or whatever are being caused by the old or the new. If the puppy has good stools and no other issues, can stay on her current food until you have to switch from puppy.

For dog treats for training I used chicken strips that are 99% chicken filet I got at costco- had to stop my wife from tasting it they smelled so good. They are nice because they can be ripped up into smaller pieces and the training needs patience.

For kong stuffing for a straight out treat, we like PB mixed with yogurt and frozen overnight. You can also add bananas or blue berries to the mix.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jdchenail is offline Junior Member

I have always used Nutro, it is grain free and my lab poops alot less!!! and her coat is very very nice! Our vet loves that we use that food for her. good luck with then new pup!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Be careful of grain free for puppies. It can be rather rich, and the protein/calcium/phosphorus levels can be excessive.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Helen&Belle is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much!!!
    I still have her on the purina super coat trying to mix it up a bit as the breeder has specified that i should be feeding her 4 times a day until 12 weeks. Then its down to 3 times a day.
    About twice a week she is getting half a chicken neck, and she has been having the super coat with a bit of can food. What else can i mix with the dry dog food to give her a bit more variety???
    I also gave her some chicken with vegetables and pasta but I'm really not sure what else i can put in there to mix it up??/
    thanks everyone really appreciate it
    Last edited by Helen&Belle; 12-29-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Dogs don't need variety. People do, so we feel they do as well, but really they are just fine with the same kibble day after day. I would not be giving a puppy anything other than the kibble recommended by the breeder and perhaps a few biscuits for training purposes.

Pasta is not for dogs, you should not be giving her any pasta. Really at her young age, keep it simple as she is growing - if you give her too many things and she has a reaction you will never know what did it. Her kibble provides her with all the nutrients she needs.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

i personally would not add pasta and veggies to my dog's food. not necessay and the pasta adds calories your dog may not need. a piece of raw veggy now and then is fine but for a treat not supplement.

dog foods are balanced for proper nutrience. if you add too many fats and calories you need to feed less kibble to avoid having your pup gain weight which throws off the balance.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Helen&Belle View Post
    Thank you so much!!!
    I still have her on the purina super coat trying to mix it up a bit as the breeder has specified that i should be feeding her 4 times a day until 12 weeks. Then its down to 3 times a day.
    About twice a week she is getting half a chicken neck, and she has been having the super coat with a bit of can food. What else can i mix with the dry dog food to give her a bit more variety???
    I also gave her some chicken with vegetables and pasta but I'm really not sure what else i can put in there to mix it up??/
    thanks everyone really appreciate it
    Agree with Roxy and Tanya. Adding things into the dog's food can wind up biting you in the butt as you can create a picky eater. Just stick to the dry food as it is, on its own, properly formulated for a puppy's growth. Adding extra stuff can throw off that balance and possibly increase the protein too much (or add in too much calcium/phosphorus/minerals).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.